The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   James Cawley the new movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483)

ISSJim 02-06-2008 03:54 PM

James Cawley the new movie

Do you think since J.J. has asked James Cawley to be in his film it lends anymore
acceptance to the New Voyages episodes?

ISSJim 02-06-2008 03:55 PM

Wiil they ever be accepted as canon?

HRH The KING 02-06-2008 04:14 PM

LOL

No, they will never be considered canon.

Personally I find them to be ridiculous, but that's just my opinion.

gam26 02-06-2008 04:22 PM

Is new voyages some books published in the 70's or somthing current?

HRH The KING 02-06-2008 04:24 PM

It's a series of fan created episodes of "TOS".

gam26 02-06-2008 04:27 PM

I guess I never got into the fan fiction stuff. I was watching "where no man has gone before" last night and was thinking that it would be a mistake not to include garry mitchell in the movie in some capacity.

Summer Storm Pictures 02-06-2008 04:32 PM

And just what has anyone here done that has come even close to the efforts those at STNV have accomplished? I think ''ridiculous'' is a bit harsh of a blanket comment to apply to a hybrid group of professionals and non-professionals who do what they do in the best spirit of all that is Star Trek and for no financial gain. I hope this board doesn't become a shrill ''name-calling'' brother to the StarTrek.com board. I think we can be just a little more accommodating and civil here.

HRH The KING 02-06-2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

And just what has anyone here done that has come even close to the efforts those at STNV have accomplished?
Does that mean then that since I have never come close (nor have the desire) to producing a multi-million dollar budget movie that I cannot for example say that NEM was ridiculously bad or mediocre?

ISSJim 02-06-2008 05:42 PM

startreknewvoyages.com go check them out.I think if you truely love TOS fan then you will have respect for what they have tried to do. I mean using Walter Koenig,George Takei,and a lot of TOS actors is no small feat for a non profit show.

Summer Storm Pictures 02-06-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRH The KING (Post 9101)
Does that mean then that since I have never come close (nor have the desire) to producing a multi-million dollar budget movie that I cannot for example say that NEM was ridiculously bad or mediocre?

I'm all for constructive criticism. Don't get me wrong, however I do try to back up my criticism and be as balanced as I can in doing so.

I'm no fan of Nemesis, but then I'm rather outspoken in my relative apathy to the TNG era vision of Star Trek. I finally did see Nemesis a few months back and felt it was par for the course, although I also felt it became a bit self-indulgent at times and seemed as if there just had to be a better story that could have been told.

As for STNV, I do not work with that group but have gotten to know several of them ''virtually.'' They know me for being a ''piece of work'', and I have been at times critical of their projects, but again constructively and with a purpose other than to simply bash them.