The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is anyone here just not sure? Like me? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4633)

masterchief1001 12-07-2008 12:22 AM

Is anyone here just not sure? Like me?

I am a second generation trekkie (the great tradition was past on to me by my parents). They grew up watching TOS as it premiered each week, and I learned from them. The TOS has always been my favorite series and the first 6 movies were mine and my brothers favorite movies. Star Trek is a very fun and nostalgic thing for me.

As far as J.J. goes, I have never watched much, of his work, but that I did watch gave me the impression he knows his way around a movie set. Now when I heard about this movie, I was excited; when I heard about the changes, I became nervous. I read about the changes in design, story, etc. And I took them all into consideration. And my conclusion is... I don't know. I like some changes and dislike others. Some of the iconic images have been changed, most are pretty good, others are a little iffy. I'm not going to list them, because its really a matter of opinion.

Whats really important to me is whether or not, this movie will truly capture the essence of the show we all know and love. One of the central things being the Trek Trinity of Kirk Spock and McCoy. I'm a huge fan of J.J.'s statement that Kirk and Spock are like Lennon and McCartney; To me the are like, well... Kirk and Spock. I'm not so worried if Chris Pine can... pull off... the Shatner pause, so much as pull off the indestructible, but still human Kirk, and so on with the other characters. Can these actors work with their environment and create that sense of awe, but still make Kirk, Spock, and McCoy seem as real as I always felt they were. And this isn't just for fanboys but for new fans too. If this movie can't capture what made all of us (who have enough passion about it to argue these points) fall in love with it, then they aren't watching Star Trek, but just another popcorn seller.

Star Trek has always been on different level than other movies and shows for me, because to me Kirk and Spock were real to me in a way that Luke or Anakin, or any other character never were. So I look forward to seeing this movie, and hoping that it will be all that we hope it will be. _\\// Live Long and Prosper! (Comments and arguments are welcome and encouraged)

Sybock 12-07-2008 04:57 AM

Seeing is believing so I'm in your camp. I'm hopeful (but not sure) that it will be a box office success so they make more but like you I really hope they are sucessful in capturing the spirit of TOS ... that is the bigger challenge.

I also agree with you about the Kirk, Spock and Bones relationship. There needs to be a chemestry between the actors playing those roles. They have good actors cast in those roles but we'll have to wait till we see the film to see if they pull it off ..... Big shoes to fill.

I'm also excited about Nemoy being in the film. I really hope the actors playing the young Spocks do a good job so that you can imagine they would evolve into Nemoy's Spock ..... Does that make sense?

Lastly, even if this movie ends up being just a "popcorn seller" I hope those that buy popcorn might want more Star Trek and wind up seeing TOS and the other Trek shows and movies. Especially if they are young, new fans and never saw anything Trek, we know there are some treasures there to be discovered.

Keep the faith and Live Long and Prosper yourself!

drakkillus 12-07-2008 05:59 AM

Quote:

Star Trek has always been on different level than other movies and shows for me, because to me Kirk and Spock were real to me in a way that Luke or Anakin, or any other character never were.
Yeah, I'll buy that. Trek has always been, for me, just what G.R. wanted it to be, something better for us, what we are really capable of, just as we are now. Judging from the brief facial expressions you can see in the trailer, it looks like our favorite trio is giving a pretty good try at channeling Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelly. Especially Karl Urban. Gives a good raised-brow, bug-eyed look.
I sure as heck look forward to it.:party:

trek_grrl 12-07-2008 06:22 AM

I have to admit I was rather late to the game, but clicked on the link to the teaser then the trailer for the movie and thought, Hmmm, the kid playing Kirk: not bad. The kid playing Spock: even better. Loved the shot of the Enterprise being built, although I maintain it was built in orbit ala STTMP.

That said, I emailed a friend of mine, who's as much a TOS fan as I, and asked her opinion of it. Here's what she said (possible spoiler ahead as she sometimes knows stuff from the inside and I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else):

Possible spoiler

For these reasons alone, I too am not going to see the movie.

Sybock 12-07-2008 07:34 AM

Urban has Bones hairdo too which really makes him look like him. He's a great actor to boot.

Botany Bay 12-07-2008 11:02 AM

After all I have seen and read so far I will give the movie a try on the big screen. That does not mean I wouldnt have a lot of objections. I hate the bridge design, hate the looks of Chris Pine, hate the new ship, hate the big window on the bridge and just hate time travel stories, seriously, I just cant stand them.

But then again, once I settled for seeing a campy new incarnation of Trek and expected to see it revamped for the Harry Potter Generation, may be it doesnt leave me smashed, destroyed, abused and depressed in the end. The way how all the classic characters where represented in the trailer made me a little optimist again and who knows, may be thats what I will enjoy in the end: The Classic Triumphirate!

The audacity of hope?

tomcatjosh 12-07-2008 04:07 PM

changes are going to happen. changes will always happen.

Sybock 12-08-2008 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcatjosh (Post 128195)
changes are going to happen. changes will always happen.

Well Said!