The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Star Trek Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best Fan Series? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461)

chekov1701 02-05-2008 09:50 AM

Best Fan Series?

There are quite few fan series out now being produced by some very talented trek fans, in your opinion which do you think is the best?

I may have missed out a couple of fan series which you know of, if so tell me and I will add it to the poll.

New Voyages (Recreation of the TOS, the stories continue from where the series left off in the 60's)
Hidden Frontier (Done on a green screen, set in the 24th century)
Farragot (Set on a constitution class ship in the 23rd century)
Star Track (Comedy fan series, set in the USS Idaho)

GunslingersGhost 02-05-2008 09:58 AM

I like New Voyages, but I think I like Starship Exeter a little more. It has a real original series feel to it, especially in the episode "The Tressaurian Intersection", and a good cast. I also like Starship Farragut, Star Trek Intrepid, and there's a couple of good computer generated series-Borg War and Aurora Trek.

chekov1701 02-05-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunslingersGhost (Post 8460)
I like New Voyages, but I think I like Starship Exeter a little more. It has a real original series feel to it, especially in the episode "The Tressaurian Intersection", and a good cast. I also like Starship Farragut, Star Trek Intrepid, and there's a couple of good computer generated series-Borg War and Aurora Trek.

I'll just add in those extra series to the poll! lol.

GunslingersGhost 02-05-2008 10:18 AM

Yeah, I'm always looking for new fan series to watch, some are really enjoyable, especially considering they're doing it out of love for the franchise and not getting any of the cash that the studios have to make episodes. BorgWar is more of a movie than a series, but it runs close to an hour and a half and is pretty good. There's another computer generated one called Star Trek-The Way Back which has some good graphics and alot of the characters from the various series, but on the 2 episodes I've downloaded the actors who are doing the voices are really way off, but it's still got potential.

SeerSGB 02-05-2008 11:17 AM

Hidden Frontier, gotta go with them.

Salter1701 02-05-2008 01:50 PM

Only seen New Voyages and Hidden Frontier.

New Voyages is alright

but IMHO... Hidden Frontier is awful.

electricbolt 02-05-2008 03:12 PM

I've only seen the NV stuff, though I like reading the fan series scripts that are available through Virtual Star Trek.

starbase63 02-06-2008 11:05 AM

Actually, my favorite "fan series" wasn't in the visual media...it was the "Kraith" series of fanfics written back in the 1970s...

There was an Andorian series of fanfics as well, much of which seems to have influenced the way the Andorians were presented in the Enterprise series...

SeerSGB 02-06-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salter1701 (Post 8586)
Only seen New Voyages and Hidden Frontier.

New Voyages is alright

but IMHO... Hidden Frontier is awful.

Gotta give Hidden Frontier credit for heart, if nothing else. Versus New Voyages, which is...well just laughable and really hard to take serious, imo.

Quote:

Actually, my favorite "fan series" wasn't in the visual media...it was the "Kraith" series of fanfics written back in the 1970s...

There was an Andorian series of fanfics as well, much of which seems to have influenced the way the Andorians were presented in the Enterprise series...
Some from fanfic, a lot of "Last Unicorn Games's" RPG sourcebook "Among The Clans - Andorians"; which, itself, I think heavily influenced by fanfic.

And for those that don't know, info on the Kraith series.. IRC, I think one of the Kraith writers went on to write profic 'Trek novel-- or a novel.

Spocko 02-07-2008 06:42 PM

I've never seen anything but Star Trek: New Voyages, so I have to stick with that.