The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Viewscreen/window? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4603)

omegaman 12-05-2008 09:13 PM

Viewscreen/window?

I have just finished watching Requiem for Methuselah TOS.

When Flint reduces the Enterprise to a two foot long version we see Kirk (anxious about his crew) peer into the bridge as if he can see inside.

This could indicate that the main viewscreen of the Enterprise is actually a window that acts as a heads-up display.

Frenzy 12-05-2008 09:15 PM

Its not impossible, but yeah only problem is its exterior shot never shows any windows, tinted glass anyone?? This is another problem i have with ST canon, you keep the friggin bridge exposed?? With a friggin window??? Why cant you bury the bridge deep like the Kling or Roms??

Frenzy 12-05-2008 09:16 PM

BTW, Even Berman and Braga rags at this in Enterpise, they show the Xindi slicing NX 01 bridge off lol And come to think of it in ST 2 also Hmm.......... Seems starfleet never learns, sigh

Sybock 12-05-2008 09:29 PM

In First Contact one of the windows is a force field and not glass. Scary thought if the power goes out.

Are you sure Kirk was looking into the ship? Maybe he was looking at his own reflection on the ship to admire his good looks.

Frenzy 12-05-2008 10:00 PM

Now that you say, Nemesis has the navigation officer fly off into space and die when the Scimitar fires on the bridge!! :O Geez they need to refit ships NOW!!

bobcunk 12-05-2008 10:11 PM

in first contact i think it was some sort of cargo thing or somthing. i dont think the windows are forcefields.

Frenzy 12-05-2008 10:16 PM

Nope unfortunately it is, the scene is when Lily Sloane touches the window to feel the force field, does not mean there is no window behind the force field, may be emergency shutters incase of decompression or power loss. In the movie ST 6 i believe they show emergency doors sutting off compartments, only TNG negates everything with force fields :D

The Saint 12-05-2008 11:20 PM

If I wanted to be optimistic, I'd propose that there are failure-actuated safety protocols on TNG ships -- for example, that it takes power to prevent emergency doors from slamming down to seal off jeopardized sections of the ship or to prevent similar mechanisms from locking down windows.

Unfortunately, although sensible, we saw way too many times that TNG engineering is directly opposed to failure-actuated safeties at nearly every turn, because while they're sound engineering, they make for poor drama. (Or DO they?)

Sybock 12-05-2008 11:24 PM

Where is the battle bridge located? Does every ship have one. How bout JJ's Enterprise?

The Saint 12-05-2008 11:52 PM

I don't think it was ever stated where Auxiliary Control (I assume that was TOS's equivalent to the "Battle Bridge") was located. Since it's been proposed that the saucer could be separated on the TOS Enterprise as well, I surmise that Aux. Control on the TOS E was similarly located in the secondary hull, probably near the Engine Room. (Odd to call that section "Main" Engineering in light of the fact that few if any sets were ever shown that could be considered auxiliaries of that section.) And yes, it's safe to assume that every Starfleet ship has an Auxiliary Control, though it's not clear why it's so seldom used.