The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Novels, Novellas, Short Stories (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Whats your favourite Star Trek Book? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4555)

SJM 12-02-2008 03:59 PM

Whats your favourite Star Trek Book?

Thought this would be an interesting thread. I've been reading them for a while now, and I'd have to say that my favs so far are;

Star Trek: PROBE, Excellent read, and my first ST Novel (this should have been Star Trek V!)

Star Trek: Ex Machina, very cerebral just excellent

The Next Gen: Masks, theres just something great about it

Captains Table: Where sea meets Sky: If you ever want a good book about the voyages of Captin Pike, this ones for you. Great read

Those are just some of the top of my head for Star Trek.

I think my fav other sci/fi would be 'Orson Scott Card's Speaker for the Dead' hands down. I can't say enough good things about this book. Its a masterpiece!

Diron Hod 12-02-2008 04:39 PM

I like all the books in the IKS Gorkon series but my favorite is Honor Bound. Though I still haven't read the first one.

T'Aerwynd 12-03-2008 06:22 AM

Thus far, I'd have to say The Wounded Sky (TOS) and Probe were among my favorites.

williamLX 12-03-2008 06:32 AM

It is years since I read any as once I have grown up most of them seemed fairly poorly written. However one that stays in mind is one were Kirk has been relieved of command because he had done something that lead to the destruction of a civilisation (an eraly Pocket UK release) and another was set with the Enterprise ending up in a alien galaxy with loads of very hostile but technologically inferior aliens trying to attack the Enterprise etc - hold on sounds a bit like Voyager. Pity I can't recall the names.

KHAAAAAAAN 12-03-2008 07:16 AM

I like Double Helix and how the stories all follow the same arc but in different ways. I thought that was pretty sweet.

T'Aerwynd 12-03-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamLX (Post 126330)
However one that stays in mind is one were Kirk has been relieved of command because he had done something that lead to the destruction of a civilisation (an eraly Pocket UK release)

I doubt it's what you're thinking of, but Prime Directive had a plot along those lines. I'm trying to remember a Pocket book that had that sort of plot and am coming up blank.

grup 12-03-2008 08:45 AM

I read two or three. The only one I remember is Prime Directive. I tried reading one but couldn't finish it. It may be but I like to "read" dialect in a book. If I'm reading a story with southern characters, I want the dialect reflected in the writing. In this particular book, Chekov referred to Kirk as "Captain". Whereas in the other books I read he referred to him as "Keptin".

Is it just me or does the absence of his clipped English detract from the read?

T'Aerwynd 12-03-2008 09:37 AM

Yeah, I suppose it does if you focus on it. I remember reading Prime Directive and being so engrossed in trying to figure out how Kirk and Co. could have destroyed a civilization that I really didn't notice. The introduction to the book blew me away (when it was revealed that Kirk was the friend of the supervisor and he was loathed).

carlg 12-03-2008 11:48 PM

T'Aerwynd: Oh hell yeah, Wounded Sky! :D I'm so glad I wasn't in public while reading the last few chapters; it's seriously a five-alarm tearjerker.

Have you read any of Diane Duane's Rihannsu (Romulan) novels? Or Spock's World? I swear, that woman is physically incapable of writing a bad book.

I also really like Diane Carey's first two novels, Dreadnought and Battlestations, just for their sheer uniqueness. Both are narrated in first person by a rather nervous junior officer posted on Enterprise. I admit, sometimes the main character skirts "Mary Sue" territory (being based pretty much directly on the author), but the story is so gripping, and the... voice, I guess is the right word, of the narration is engageing enough that you don't really mind.

Oh yeah, and you all need to read How Much for Just the Planet. There's a pie fight -- Starfleet vs. Klingons. With banana cream pies. And it's a musical. I am not making this up.:001_tongue:

T'Aerwynd 12-04-2008 08:12 AM

Whoa, I cried at the end of The Wounded Sky too! Hehe, I thought it was just me being idiotic. I loved the book. I just bought it on EBay (God, I love EBay) not too long ago and I've already read it three times. It gets better each time! I loved the part where they're in the other galaxy and their "true essences" are coming out. McCoy's compassion, Spock's dual nature, Kirk's armor. It was great.

I couldn't put Spock's World down. The library actually gave me an overdue notice on it, heh. Now, I'm searching on EBay for the Trek books I don't have and that one's a priority. Loved it. The Rihannsu series ... I've read My Enemy, My Ally and The Romulan Way and loved both. I haven't read the other three, though.

Dreadnought and Battlestations were great. I could be Piper, hehe. I loved the scene in Battlestations where she's on the planet with Scanner and had to dance for the Klingons.

I roared when I read How Much for Just the Planet? Absolutely hysterical!