The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   STAR TREK novels: A question (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4472)

Trekfan69 11-28-2008 11:24 PM

STAR TREK novels: A question

Since we're doing a "Back to the Future" style thing with STAR TREK XI I was wondering what that will mean for the novels, comics, etc.. Does anyone have any info or thoughts about this?

Will the Classic, classic trek (Shatner and company) come to an end and be replaced with the likeness of the new cast? Will TREK XI cause the novels to "reboot" or will there be like an "alternate universe" thing where the original Trek stuff continues on one plane and the NEW Trek continues on a simultaneous but different plane?

Very curious. Thanks.

jtrek79 11-28-2008 11:31 PM

it is my opinion,accept a new breed of trek comics as a fine addition to the old ones,thinking about canon in the comics , only headaches will cause u....

Kukalaka 11-28-2008 11:32 PM

The Star Trek novels and comics were never regulated with the fine-tooth comb approach Lucasfilm took to protecting the integrity of the Star Wars franchise's fictional history and its expanded universe.

I.E. they're a sh!tshow and are already over the place and contradicting each other, so I doubt any such distinctions as you point out will be needed.

thypentacle 11-28-2008 11:35 PM

Very interesting question indeed... though I think it all depends on how the new movie ends I would think... too early to say?

jtrek79 11-28-2008 11:36 PM

i dont know man , i was never a follower of comics or novels

Kukalaka 11-28-2008 11:37 PM

What's there to be curious about?

They'll write comics based on the new film's look and characters.

They'll write comics based on the classic TOS era.

They'll probably write comics based on TNG, DS9, and all the other stuff too.

I don't see any big questions.

Saquist 11-28-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trekfan69 (Post 123736)
Since we're doing a "Back to the Future" style thing with STAR TREK XI I was wondering what that will mean for the novels, comics, etc.. Does anyone have any info or thoughts about this?

Will the Classic, classic trek (Shatner and company) come to an end and be replaced with the likeness of the new cast? Will TREK XI cause the novels to "reboot" or will there be like an "alternate universe" thing where the original Trek stuff continues on one plane and the NEW Trek continues on a simultaneous but different plane?

Very curious. Thanks.

You'll have to ask the head of Pocket Books Star Trek Division.
Marco Palmeri on Simonsays.com come to get the full details but it's a good question. Perhaps I'll drop a line and ask myself.

Trekfan69 11-28-2008 11:56 PM

Kukalaka,

Yeah, the comics I'm not overly concerned about but it struck me as really odd to think that pocketbooks may split their books into two concurrent timelines based on the same characters. Doesn't that strike you as weird or interesting? Then it would be like a "chose your own canon" type of deal. I mean, surely they would have to show a bit of preference to one over the other wouldn't they? Maybe not. I don't know.

Saquist 11-28-2008 11:59 PM

Well none of the books..."NONE" of the books are canon so that's actually a non issue.

Trekfan69 11-29-2008 12:08 AM

Ok, well I guess it's just me then. I didn't realize that the books were not considered canon. Shame, that. Some of them are very well written. So what is official canon? Just what appears on the screen? Who is the canon master and how were the canon rules officialized?