The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   the Vette (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4438)

grup 11-27-2008 07:36 AM

the Vette

I think I may have some insight into the 'Vette.

I just realized that in ST-TMP we learned that Kirk had a fondness for antiques. If Kirks father (or Uncle) collected them (one of them obviously did) this could be where it all started. Even the bike could be an antique even though it looks a bit futurisitc. (I remember reading a post grumbling about the motorcycle having wheels).

I tried posting this before my account was activated so I'll post it here.

The use of a '66 'Vette is significant in that ST-TOS aired in '66. The clip shows the speedometer starting out at 66 mph and accelerates through the mph/years up to about '79 when ST-TMP came out.

Then Abrams completely destroys that prisitne 'Vette by plunging it into the ravine! His way of saying that Star Trek is going to be drastically changed? i.e. the OLD is dead.

Québec 11-27-2008 07:53 AM

i like that.

Saquist 11-27-2008 07:57 AM

That's awful....

grup 11-27-2008 08:13 AM

Now mind you. That's just my opinion of the trailer images. I hope the movie stays as true to TOS as is possible given that we are a much smarter audience than we were 40 years ago.

ash_scotland88 11-27-2008 08:52 AM

that is damn good imagery, thumbs up from me

radoskal 11-27-2008 09:02 AM

what a horrible idea

Star Trek 11-27-2008 09:09 AM

Just as an aside - Shatner owned a '67 Vette...

Yagami Crewman 11-27-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Trek (Post 123036)
Just as an aside - Shatner owned a '67 Vette...

Yah he traded up from a GTO after the first season's paychecks.

numberwun 11-27-2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grup (Post 122987)

I just realized that in ST-TMP we learned that Kirk had a fondness for antiques. If Kirks father (or Uncle) collected them (one of them obviously did) this could be where it all started. Even the bike could be an antique even though it looks a bit futurisitc. (I remember reading a post grumbling about the motorcycle having wheels).

The use of a '66 'Vette is significant in that ST-TOS aired in '66. The clip shows the speedometer starting out at 66 mph and accelerates through the mph/years up to about '79 when ST-TMP came out.

Then Abrams completely destroys that prisitne 'Vette by plunging it into the ravine! His way of saying that Star Trek is going to be drastically changed? i.e. the OLD is dead.

That's interesting thet you picked up on that. I am torn between the cool symbolism & the reality...

It makes me wonder if delaying the movie was a good idea. It gives us all a chance to really soak up the new direction of the ST franchise. hmmmm.. We'll just have to wait & see.

Botany Bay 11-27-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grup (Post 122987)

You missed something in that interpretation. Star Trek may have gone over the cliff and smashed once and for all - but that cant stop "James Tiberius Kirk" from cheating death again.

However, its a neat little detail you discovered there.