The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Time travel re-hash (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4424)

grup 11-26-2008 09:37 AM

Time travel re-hash

I glanced over the first 4 pages before starting this thread but if it needs moved.....make it so.:D

I know it has been discussed, and I too am not a big fan of the time travel story lines. But, maybe we can look at that as traveling and the altering of history being a commonplace, universal problem ala world hunger and drugs (etc) are today. And correcting it is a commonplace task. Kind of "Time Copish" I know but hey......:confused1:

NCC-73515 11-26-2008 09:47 AM

You mean like "Cultures can be improved by... careful... manipulation of historical events..."?

Saquist 11-26-2008 09:59 AM

That would be the purpose of the Time ship Relativity.

Leathart 11-26-2008 10:27 AM

I'm all for this film but the time travel bit gets old. I've always said those stories are due to poor writers generally. Whatever. I'm still going to be first in line.....

Saquist 11-26-2008 10:29 AM

In Relativity...the story was new intresting and done right for perhaps the first time in Star Trek...It was complicated and made sense at the conclusion.

Time Travel can be done good every time if you think about how your paradoxes will work out first...not after the fact.

NCC-73515 11-26-2008 10:44 AM

They did not interfere with Adm Janeway bringing future technology back. Which is why I didn't like Endgame.

Leathart 11-26-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saquist (Post 122628)
In Relativity...the story was new intresting and done right for perhaps the first time in Star Trek...It was complicated and made sense at the conclusion.

Time Travel can be done good every time if you think about how your paradoxes will work out first...not after the fact.

That's actually a good point Saquist

Saquist 11-26-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC-73515 (Post 122637)
They did not interfere with Adm Janeway bringing future technology back. Which is why I didn't like Endgame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leathart (Post 122643)
That's actually a good point Saquist

Both are reason why Time trek doesn't work in those episodes.

First Contact didn't consider the paradoxes they were creating.
The episodes of DS9 and Voyager established that they're are time cops out there...but then Voyager flips that idea the bird because they want to do a time travel episode to get Voyager home...

You got to ask yourself If Captain Braxton said NO to Janeway's first request to return them home through time travel then why did they allow it at the end? I don't hate that they didn't explain it...just annoyed.

It doesn't contradict necessarily but it does itch...

Frenzy 11-26-2008 03:43 PM

Atleast we agree on that issue, good point actually! Time travel is a tricky tricky plotline. Time cop is a difficult concept in itself, how do you decide which is the correct timeline and how do you instantaneously stop his changes?

miles3347 11-26-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saquist (Post 122651)
Both are reason why Time trek doesn't work in those episodes.

First Contact didn't consider the paradoxes they were creating.
The episodes of DS9 and Voyager established that they're are time cops out there...but then Voyager flips that idea the bird because they want to do a time travel episode to get Voyager home...

You got to ask yourself If Captain Braxton said NO to Janeway's first request to return them home through time travel then why did they allow it at the end? I don't hate that they didn't explain it...just annoyed.

It doesn't contradict necessarily but it does itch...

Janeway did not use time travel to get the ship physically home gust the technology to get them through the transwarp hub alive. The temporal enforcers that refused to return the ship to the 24th century because it would have altered future events like decimating the borg unimatrix 1 and it probably was a established event admiral Janway getting the ship home via the transwarp hub using future tech. It was their own ship that caused the event with Captain braxton in the twentieth century.