The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ship insignias (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4405)

Grelev 11-25-2008 10:43 AM

Ship insignias

Does anybody thing they'll stick with the TOS tradition of different mission patches (in this case, badges) for different ships? Or will Starfleet make like their future selves and go arrowhead all around?

NCC-73515 11-25-2008 11:01 AM

Imagine the Constellation symbol as little miniature versions all over the Uniform...

LTJG Iferal 11-25-2008 11:05 AM

What was the Constellation symbol? I don't remember.

kevin 11-25-2008 11:18 AM

It depends how many other starships apart from Kelvin and Enterprise we'll see in the film.

NCC-73515 11-25-2008 11:25 AM

Search pictures for NCC-1017

vuedoc 11-25-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC-73515 (Post 122129)
Imagine the Constellation symbol as little miniature versions all over the Uniform...

LOL! Yeah, I can't see the wardrobe department going nuts over doing something like that. Well, just another bit of Trek history tossed to the 4 winds though frankly, I always did think that it was a bit silly to do that during TOS. How many naval crews today have uniform variants for each vessel in the fleet?

MissionTrek08 11-25-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vuedoc (Post 122166)
LOL! Yeah, I can't see the wardrobe department going nuts over doing something like that. Well, just another bit of Trek history tossed to the 4 winds though frankly, I always did think that it was a bit silly to do that during TOS. How many naval crews today have uniform variants for each vessel in the fleet?

In the case of TOS, I think the idea of different insignia was originally proposed to help TV audiences tell the difference from ship to ship... since the same actual ship models/shots would be reused in most cases, the crews would wear the same color shirts, stand on the same sets.

The different insignia would have been a quick, handy visual cue for viewers. May well have proven more trouble than it was worth.

TJJones 11-25-2008 12:44 PM

It's likely that Gene got the idea of each crew having their ship's individual symbol on their uniforms from the Navy practice of enlisted personnel wearing a rocker on the shoulder of their right sleeve that has the ship's name embroidered upon it.

Also, U.S. soldiers of all ranks wear the insignia of their division (and the army to which their division belongs) on their uniforms, for quick identification of a soldier's unit when first encountered.

It makes sense from the above perspectives and was an interesting bit of Trek lore that disappeared with TMP. I always thought it was a bit hokey that Starfleet would change its symbol for one incredibly-famous starship (considering that there were probably incredibly-famous starships once a generation). It doesn't bother me to see that go away.

Frenzy 11-25-2008 01:12 PM

Well to create a patch for the number of ships featured in TNG would be insane, speaking of insane what would be the patch for USS Crazyhorse, the Excelsior class from TNG "The Pegasus"

danellis 11-25-2008 01:16 PM

I would assume some native american-related symbol.

The division symbols were common across the fleet BTW (or at least the command one was)

DJE