The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Let's look at the trailer a different way. What do you think is good about it? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4374)

MonsieurHood 11-23-2008 03:37 PM

Let's look at the trailer a different way. What do you think is good about it?

We all have plenty of threads to gripe on. Let's ask ourselves what we think is good about it, and positive, and what we like about what we've been shown. And please, no arguments, no negative posts. Like I said before, we've done enough of that already. I like (in no particular order):
The Costumes (The starfleet uniforms are groovy, yes. But the Vulcan civilian dress is particularly good).
The Special Effects.
The shuttles are a nice design and quite similar to the old ones from TOS.
All of the actors look completely comfortable and appropriate in their roles.
The Enterprise crew, definitely looks the part.
They kept the transporter sound effect.
The music sounds like it will be very exciting and the sound seems quite well
done as well.
Karl Urban and Simon Pegg. These guys in particular really seem into their
roles.
Zoe Saldana is so bloody good looking, so lithe, so symmetrical and pleasing
to the eye. Absolutely a spellbinding beauty.
The future looks a bit darker and a bit harsher, far more realistic and
believable than before, and best of all, the "darkening" doesn't look
overdone.

Saquist 11-23-2008 03:44 PM

I like the USS Kelvin. It looks like an older ship.

tomcatjosh 11-23-2008 04:26 PM

Agreed

Saquist 11-23-2008 05:02 PM

I actually do also like the black shirt for Kirk. It looks very masculine and appropriate.

screenscribe 11-23-2008 05:15 PM

I honestly didn't like much of it. I know this won't be believed on the boards but I wrote for the series... (TNG, DS9, Voy, Ent.) and we always tried to keep things in continuity. On Enterprise we battled an uphill battle of making a "non-Star Trek" Star Trek series. It wasn't until Manny came on that the suits would listen. Now they get their way again. I think this would be a good Sci-Fi film. Not a good Star Trek. Too much continuity is thrown out the window. I like the action that seems to be driving the film.

Being "gritty" is one thing that I always thought that the show needed. Which is why DS9 was the most fun to work on. This film seems to have that. But the ship... I hate. To me that is like changing the "S" on Superman's costume. There is no need. The bridge looks too much like a movie set than something functional. Too much of the original series is thrown in (Pike, April, Romulans, Klingons) The first draft of the script (granted it was some time ago) was way too confusing and stuffed to the rafters. I'm sure now that it has been streamlined. I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD or see it at the discount movie theater for $2.00. But I hold out hope that I'll be presently surprised.

jerhanner 11-23-2008 08:37 PM

I liked the way the shipyard loods in Iowa.
I like Scotty's line about this ship being fun.
I like all the actors.
I'm curious as to what that stuff is in the scene after we see Uhura (not the bra scene, the bridge scene.)
I like the effects.
I love the line, "The wait is over."

Captain Pike 11-23-2008 08:56 PM

It has Captain Pike in command. "Prepare to fire all weapons"

MissionTrek08 11-23-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonsieurHood (Post 121366)
The music sounds like it will be very exciting and the sound seems quite well done as well.

Quick point: the music in the trailer is NOT from Michael Giacchino's score for TREK. It's actually from another composer and film all together (as often happens with trailers when the score isn't complete or it's too early to reveal).

Meanwhile, fine idea for a topic, MH!

I'm certainly enjoying all the actors in their roles, from what we've seen. Though it's nearly impossible to get a sense of Yelchin as Chekov yet, though his interview comments have been interesting. Pine looks better suited for Kirk with every reveal, though there's still much to see in action as the character. Quinto, check. Pegg and Urban look most encouraging in taking on difficult roles in TREK lore, and appear to have good takes on their characters.

The effects look very good, as one would expect from ILM. I will be very relieved that TREK will be getting big screen-quality effects again, and while much debate ensues about the E's design, I expect ILM to give it a true sense of scale in 3D space. Also, Abrams et al appear to have carried over that scale to the rest of the production as well.

I like what I see of the Kelvin, though I'm still dubious about Nero's ship (given it appears in glimpses only).

The bridge has grown on me now that I've seen more of the ship -- very different from TOS, to be sure! But also now well integrated into the ship's design, a context which we did not have access to when the first stills appeared.

I'm not 100% sold on anything yet, because I'm still waiting to see much more. While many fans may dislike the differences from TREK before, in the end I expect those differences to be the fuel which allows TREK to avoid extinction and grow in a new direction again.

tsar 11-24-2008 07:36 AM

The U.S.S. Kelvin NCC 0514 looks really bad ***! LoL. I love the look of having two cylinder sections on either side of the saucer. It's a Great looking ship. It's about time they think out of the box a little bit.

axiomatic7 11-24-2008 07:48 AM

McCoy's quote

McCoy's quote on the transport shuttle to Kirk about the dangers of space was especially dramatic.