The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "I'd watch it, but it's Star Trek... so I won't." :( (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4290)

NCC-73515 11-20-2008 05:38 AM

"I'd watch it, but it's Star Trek... so I won't." :(

One of my friends after seeing the trailer:
"If I wouldn't know that this is Star Trek, then after seeing this trailer I would probably watch it. But I've never liked Star Trek, so I'm not interested."

I guess the marketing campaign has to point out that this will be different :(

Ferrous 11-20-2008 05:47 AM

So far the friends I show it to say they want to go see it. One did the sigh and eye roll when I told him about the trailer, but after seeing it he said it looked interesting and not like the other trailers he has seen for Star Trek.

Unfortunatly this movie will have to cut through the perception that it is another geek film and I think the new trailer is a great start.

williamLX 11-20-2008 06:03 AM

My wife is a die hard Trek hater. So much so that I am not allowed to watch it if our son is around, in case I turn him into another loaner/geek/Trekkie! However I forced her to watch the trailer for the new film and she said it looked good, very different from the low budget crap that had gone before - so who knows this film may have a chance of gaining a wider audience.

thestartrekker 11-20-2008 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamLX (Post 119413)
My wife is a die hard Trek hater. So much so that I am not allowed to watch it ....

I hear you dude, I'm on the same boat. :toetap05:
Showed my brother the other day, who is neither Trek lover or hater, he seemed interested, but not enthralled.

jerhanner 11-20-2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

My wife is a die hard Trek hater. So much so that I am not allowed to watch it if our son is around, in case I turn him into another loaner/geek/Trekkie! However I forced her to watch the trailer for the new film and she said it looked good, very different from the low budget crap that had gone before - so who knows this film may have a chance of gaining a wider audience.

Ow! We started our son off on Voyager when he was 3!

I guess we have to resign ourselves that if we want Trek to survive we need explosions & bras. Maybe exploding bras?

fwise3 11-20-2008 07:20 AM

wooooo!!! exploding bras!!! right on!!! lol

brenden freeze 11-20-2008 07:22 AM

If they dont like it then too damn bad for them I think . :) Anybody is def missing out if decide not to watch anything star trek. They will def regret not watching it i think ..

MrQ1701 11-20-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC-73515 (Post 119394)
"If I wouldn't know that this is Star Trek, then after seeing this trailer I would probably watch it. But I've never liked Star Trek, so I'm not interested."

Tell your your friend to shove his small minded attitude up his a*s!!

When people I know diss on Trek, when they haven't even watched it, I NEVER hesitate to defend it. I usually tell them that it is not surprising that they don't like drame that requires some thought.

I have actually turned a number of people into Trek fans, they just had to give it a chance.

Beetlescott 11-20-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

What exactly do you consider "low budget crap?"

kevin 11-20-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC-73515 (Post 119394)

To be fair, the film won't entice everyone in, no film does, so marketing-wise it's not necessarily a sign of complete failure.