The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where will the end of Star Trek XI leave off? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4138)

Triblfied 11-16-2008 01:58 PM

Where will the end of Star Trek XI leave off?

Just as the titles says. What will the end of the movie be like? Do you want it to end right before the start of TOS? Do you want it to end so that there is room for more adventures before the the original 5 year mission? Or, do you want it to end with the beginning of the first TOS episode? Share your comments!

MissionTrek08 11-16-2008 02:13 PM

I think this will end with the TOS-era crew in place aboard the E, if younger. And there will be plenty of room to discover early adventures/missions before bumping into TOS episodes.

vuedoc 11-16-2008 03:08 PM

From what I've read, I wouldn't be surprised if our concerns become as invalidated as the original history of Trek has become. Sorry if I'm grumpy here, but at the present time, I just don't see how the events of this film could possible lead into the events of TOS and beyond.

Carrot 11-16-2008 03:16 PM

I think it will lead into to plenty of story lines, but I don't think it will lead into original TOS.

Nor do I think it should. I am not a canon-ist. I like trek for what it is, space battles and exploration. Yes some kind of overal theme running through it to bind it together is good. but when then binding becomes so tight it shackles it, it is bad.

This film looks like to be what trek needs to break free f it shackles, lose its geeky/nerdy image and continue boldly going.

WildGunsTomcat 11-16-2008 03:31 PM

Canon is for the birds.

If you lock yourself into something like Canon you're asking for creative deadlock.

And that's all it is guys...a story. People take show history way too seriously. And honestly that's why Trek nerds get a bad rap...they take this stuff WAY too seriously.

ThePhaige 11-16-2008 04:19 PM

We shall see. Hard to really tell this early on. My hope is getting the green light for the first 5 year mission, as for the timeline thats still a mystery isnt it?

MrQ1701 11-16-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat (Post 117040)
Canon is for the birds.

If you lock yourself into something like Canon you're asking for creative deadlock.

And that's all it is guys...a story. People take show history way too seriously. And honestly that's why Trek nerds get a bad rap...they take this stuff WAY too seriously.

I agree. The devil is in the details. As long as Major trek history is observed, the ship, uniforms, phasers, Romulans, etc... can look however JJ wants. We know Spock is half human and half Vulcan. Check!! We know the T. in James T. Kirk stand for Tiberius. Check!! We know it's "phasers" and "photon torpedos", not lasers and nuclear missiles. Check!! We know it's called a transporter and not a teleporter. Check!!! Get my point?

Leathart 11-16-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat (Post 117040)
Canon is for the birds.

Agreed!

bobcunk 11-16-2008 06:28 PM

a giant dick flying into the *** of the fans.
i actually think its going to be good.

InfiniteShadow 11-16-2008 07:24 PM

Maybe a new Star trek series on t.v. hopefully? *crosses fingers*