The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NO FINS (atleast that we can see) (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4081)

ignite4christ 11-14-2008 06:40 AM

NO FINS (atleast that we can see)

This may be stupid and it may not be bothering anyone but me...but...in the teaser trailer when the workers are standing on the nacelle putting the hull plating on, it appears as though the nacelle is curved more than it is in the recently released photo of the new E. I also do not see the fins that are visible on the nacelles either. if anyone has seen the trailer, can you let me know if the fins are there or not?

Admiral Archer 11-14-2008 07:25 AM

I don't think that was the nacelle that we saw in the trailer. I think it was the spine of the engineering section facing aft, and that the two "fins" were the bases fo the nacelle pylons.

wayne1701 11-14-2008 08:08 AM

If you look at the last part of the trailer when we see the front of the ship the engines do have fins, they are a bit hard to make out because of the prespective its in, but they are deffently there. And also i look at the Kelvin and this new pic of the enterprise, there is something bugging me, the quality of the Kelvin is so much better than the quality of that on the Enterprise, so is this actually the new enterprise, or something to throw us off the scent? any oppinions on this?

Biff Cantrell 11-14-2008 09:45 AM

I didn't see any fins. Enterprise was cruising pretty fast though, and there was a lot going on around her. BTW -- the trailer literally made my jaw drop, it was THAT good.

The Bond movie wasn't great, but not a bad date flick either :P

Aqua 11-14-2008 09:59 AM

The Bond movie was a pretty good action film, but it wasn't a Bond movie - which I define by Q and all the neat gadgets that set it apart for ordinary action films.

MissionTrek08 11-14-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayne1701 (Post 115862)
If you look at the last part of the trailer when we see the front of the ship the engines do have fins, they are a bit hard to make out because of the prespective its in, but they are deffently there. And also i look at the Kelvin and this new pic of the enterprise, there is something bugging me, the quality of the Kelvin is so much better than the quality of that on the Enterprise, so is this actually the new enterprise, or something to throw us off the scent? any oppinions on this?

Having seen the trailer, all I can say is you can't judge by the still photos.

Analysis and discussion of the Enterprise photo clarify a couple major points: the angle of the shot skews the proportions of the ship, unlike a straight side-shot would display it correctly; also, the nacelles are not glowing so the shot doesn't even appear to be a completed efx shot... unlike the Kelvin photos, which appear to be still frames from the final film sequence itself.

It all looks good in the trailer, though. Having said that, the Kelvin sequence is going to kick major booty, no doubt.

MrQ1701 11-14-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ignite4christ (Post 115835)
This may be stupid and it may not be bothering anyone but me...but...in the teaser trailer when the workers are standing on the nacelle putting the hull plating on, it appears as though the nacelle is curved more than it is in the recently released photo of the new E. I also do not see the fins that are visible on the nacelles either. if anyone has seen the trailer, can you let me know if the fins are there or not?

I think the nacelle we see in the new E still photo is overshadowed. That is why the back side looks off. You'll see the fins in the movie. I am sure of it. I am also pretty sure it was the nacelle we saw in the first trailer, NOT the engineering section. The correct scale make the nacelle more plausible

Biff Cantrell 11-14-2008 05:24 PM

I'll say this much -- fins or not, the ship looks far more properly proportioned, streamlined, and just plain right in the trailer. There are some differences of course, but the new Enterprise (IMHO) pays the proper tribute to her pedigree. Unlike the released publicity photo, when I look at the ship in the trailer, I see Enterprise.

bobcunk 11-14-2008 11:40 PM

yes ther are fins. you can see it when it goes into warp.