The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Voyager (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   If we could go back in time and re-do Voyager.... (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4009)

buffs79 11-10-2008 03:15 PM

If we could go back in time and re-do Voyager....

First off. that ship get's damaged? No Star fleet parts, so let's find some alien allies to help. After awhile, Voyager would look much different.

Voyager get's assimilated. Minimal repairs. The aria still retains a Borg look.

Be less PC. Go out to the limits, address real issues facing society.

USE MODELS! The CGI in Voyager looked terrible, today, I'd still use models, they just look sooooo much better

Introduce plots that would have aliens join the crew

any other ideas? :001_cool:

HRH The KING 11-10-2008 03:41 PM

No reset button.

That one suggestion could have vastly improved VOY by forcing them to address problems that carry over from week to week, instead of having a perfect pristine ship with endless supplies and limitless energy every episode.

Saquist 11-10-2008 03:52 PM

I'm with you Buff...
models are just plain better. But Voyager used CGI appropriately.
It was DS9 that litteraly destroyed good taste with those CGI battles.

CGI is just cheaper...it's only when you have money to burn you use models...
Like Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings.

horatio 11-10-2008 03:58 PM

The interesting thing is that LORD was cheap compared to other blockbusters.
Wikipedia lists a budget of 280 million $ for a runtime of about 11 hourse for the extended version cut. If we compare this to the 150 million $ budget / 100 minutes of the upcoming movie, which is around the order of many other blockbusters, it costs about four times as much as LOTR per minute of film.

Saquist 11-10-2008 04:00 PM

Then I stand corrected.

MrQ1701 11-10-2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRH The KING (Post 113872)
No reset button.

That one suggestion could have vastly improved VOY by forcing them to address problems that carry over from week to week, instead of having a perfect pristine ship with endless supplies and limitless energy every episode.

You need to watch more VOY. There are many episodes where the crew is searching for supplies and raw materials. Same goes for episode regarding the very limited supply of energy.

horatio 11-10-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saquist (Post 113893)
Then I stand corrected.

I was quite surprised when I saw these numbers the first time. With all those large models, the thousands of self-produced props and weapons I always thought that it had to be a very costly production. Perhaps the folks in New Zealand just work more efficiently.
But I think there is some tendency to go away from CGI to more real stuff in he last years, Dark Knight did a lot of things in real and JJ et also said that they tried to reduce blue screen shootings, although the ships will probably be pure CGI.

Saquist 11-10-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horatio (Post 113895)
I was quite surprised when I saw these numbers the first time. With all those large models, the thousands of self-produced props and weapons I always thought that it had to be a very costly production. Perhaps the folks in New Zealand just work more efficiently.
But I think there is some tendency to go away from CGI to more real stuff in he last years, Dark Knight did a lot of things in real and JJ et also said that they tried to reduce blue screen shootings, although the ships will probably be pure CGI.

Dark Knight
Another Film that many will aspire to...but never achieve.

BlackBox 11-10-2008 04:45 PM

First, ditch the entire cast.

Second, ditch all the characters.

The plot is fine, though, but the actual show just turned into MELROSE PLACE IN SPACE -- was so lame

MrQ1701 11-10-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBox (Post 113918)
First, ditch the entire cast.

Second, ditch all the characters.

The plot is fine, though, but the actual show just turned into MELROSE PLACE IN SPACE -- was so lame

in what ways was Voyager a "melrose place in space"?