The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ...and the winner is... (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388)

SiskoNX01 02-04-2008 09:53 AM

...and the winner is...

I don't know who it is, but Michael Giacchino, tasked with scoring Star Trek, and following in some big footsteps, has been nominated for an Academy Award for his work on Ratatouille!

I'm looking forward to hearing his score for Star Trek.

Dr. Niemann 02-04-2008 09:55 AM

Maybe so.

I'll miss Jerry Goldsmith.

SiskoNX01 02-04-2008 09:57 AM

Jerry Goldsmith is Star Trek for me. Listening to his scores is one of the best things I can do on any given day. I can relax to them, exercise to them, drive with them, and work with them. He is missed.

OneBuckFilms 02-04-2008 10:45 AM

Goldsmith's theme is fantastic, but since this is essentially a TOS film, I'd like to hear a couple of appropriate nods to the original series.

Fundamentally, I want the score to work well for the film. Everything else is just educated wishful thinking.

SiskoNX01 02-04-2008 01:13 PM

With an Oscar nomination, it would appear that we have a decent shot at a good soundtrack.

bintrepid81 02-04-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiskoNX01 (Post 7906)
With an Oscar nomination, it would appear that we have a decent shot at a good soundtrack.

Here, here! Sometimes its the music that sets the stage for the movie and its looking good so far based on the credentials.

st_newuniverse 02-04-2008 01:19 PM

I just don't understand why they didn't ask Joel Goldsmith. I mean he did help on the First Contact soundtrack, and I love the theme to Stargate Atlantis.

Oh well I love ST soundtracks I will love this one

OneBuckFilms 02-04-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st_newuniverse (Post 7920)
I just don't understand why they didn't ask Joel Goldsmith. I mean he did help on the First Contact soundtrack, and I love the theme to Stargate Atlantis.

Oh well I love ST soundtracks I will love this one

Giacchino has worked with JJ many times before (M:I:III, Lost etc.), and has written highly innovative music for his projects.

M:I:III also proved that Michael Giacchino can both pay respecto to an old franchise, while creating something rich and contemporary.

First Contact was good, but basically used his father's scores.

Stargate Atlantis is also really good for television work, but Joel might not have the range to create a really great score, though he would write a good one.

TriggerMan 02-04-2008 02:16 PM

As MUCH as I love Jerry Goldsmith, and with absolutely ALL respect intended, in regards to Star Trek he was starting to re-use alot of things within the scores that it was becoming too predictable almost and sounded like he was running out of ideas. Starting with "The Fisnal Frontier" the elements were brought back again for "First Contact" and just basically stayed there, just changing or becoming variations of each other.

As someone pointed out about, J.J. has worked with this particular composer as he seems to have worked with several of the people on Star Trek that he has in the past. It's probably more of a loyalty/dependability thing than anything.