The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Star Trek Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trekkie Versus Trekker (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363)

Captain John Belushi 02-03-2008 10:48 AM

Trekkie Versus Trekker

There was an article in the local paper where a group of Trekkers were organizing a Star Trek discussion group every month on a Saturday. They were quick to define themselves as Trekkers... wanting to distance themselves from Trekkies. Their definition was basically a Trekker would never have a poster, not travel miles and miles for a convention, and never own a pair of Vulcan ears. A Trekkie, on the other hand, would have posters, Vulcan ears, and travel miles and miles for a convention. These "Trekkers" still owned a uniform and would attend a convention.

What, exactly, is the distinction? Not much. If a Trekker is this to becoming a Trekkie, are they only a few pieces of merchandise away? A couple toys? How much merchandise does it take, Admiral? How many? Is it one piece? Is it two??? How many does it take, Admiral?!

I think Star Trek should outgrow this need to distinct. I think we're all Trekkies and the Trekkers just don't wanna think their Trekkies. Trekkies got into the dictionary... let's run with it! No need to have any elitism within our Star Trek fan ranks!:cool:

KJTrek 02-03-2008 10:53 AM

I say trekkie, all out. I think it came first and has more recognition. The idea of having different levels of trek worship is like outcast kids at school arguing whether they are nerds or geeks.

Nothing against those nerds anyway, I'm kinda one myself.

KiraTroi87 02-03-2008 10:54 AM

I'm a Trekkie not a Trekker!

Quark 02-03-2008 11:24 AM

This is such a lame battle that non-Star Trek fans love to hear about. So I would have to say neither. I just consider myself a Star Trek Fan.

sir num nums 02-03-2008 11:51 AM

It only took 4 days for this thread to apear, I'm impressed.

But like "Quark", I consider myself a Star Trek Fan

KiraTroi87 02-03-2008 12:03 PM

Well now that you mention it I freaking hate labels so I am a Star Trek Fan as well!

starbase63 02-03-2008 12:48 PM

I have considered myself a Trekker since the mid 1970s...

I may be a Trekkie at heart, but I prefer to be referred to as a Trekker.

Gone2TheFinalFrontier 02-03-2008 01:14 PM

I prefer Trekker too, but Trekker, Trekkie, I'll accept both, it's all the same to me. Frankly I'd never heard that Star Trek fans created the distinction between the terms described above, and imo it's generally rather sad that they do.

Raiden 02-03-2008 01:39 PM

While I do agree with Quark, I would have to go with Trekkie purely because i prefer it.

VADBAXTER 02-03-2008 01:41 PM

Trekker most definately!!!!!