The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Blu ray vs. HD DVD (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340)

KJTrek 02-02-2008 05:05 PM

Blu ray vs. HD DVD

Okay, I know I'm not the only one who is completely p/o over Paramount siding with HD DVD. I think it is very obvious that BD is winning the format war with PS3 and Sony on its side, plus it has greater capacity. Unless HD does something spectacular soon, I don't think positions are going to change.

If someone wants to say otherwise, I admit I don't know everything about this topic so talk away.

Aaleck 02-02-2008 05:40 PM

It was pretty much at a stand still until WB went BR only... It's not totally over yet though, people might still buy tons of players since theyre lowering in price...then if they get enough people then the big companys will have to switch to "both" or else they'll loose money..

tomalak301 02-02-2008 06:13 PM

Neither. I like my standard DVD player just fine.

kirkkid7 02-02-2008 07:15 PM

blu-ray for the win.

trekkie1701D 02-02-2008 08:07 PM

I dont know a lot about them, but from the research I have done, I think HDDVD is the better choice (the new disks have a very close size, and are cheaper the BR)

Ktrek 02-02-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trekkie1701D (Post 6538)
I dont know a lot about them, but from the research I have done, I think HDDVD is the better choice (the new disks have a very close size, and are cheaper the BR)

I don't think I would call 20 gigs storage capacity difference a close range unless you are referring to picture quality. Audio quality is lower on HD-DVD. HD also does not have the interactive features like Blu-Ray does. And I don't know where you shop but with the exception of sales on particular titles I have found the price on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD the same. It's only the price of the players that are lower in HD-DVD. However, it seems the public isn't buying (excuse the pun) into the new lower price HD-DVD players as Blu is outselling them like 5 to 1. I think the public is not as dumb as some people think and they have obviously chosen Blu-Ray. Paramount better get their act together or they will find themselves short of sales and thus short on capitol if they don't switch soon.

Kevin

sir num nums 02-02-2008 11:04 PM

I am hoping HD-DVD will win over Blu-Ray. I think it would be funny as hell for Sony to bomb twice on something like this.

Anyone remember Beta Max?

Plus, Sony may not make another Play Station after this one, so all those Blu-Ray people would be screwed.

Almighty 02-02-2008 11:23 PM

DVD is fine for me at the moment

And i dont think either will win in the long term anyway

Video is ggoing to be very much the same as audio online in the long term

I havent bought an actual CD from a music shop in years and have most of my music on my HD

A few DVD's for backup but thats it

In the long term thats where we're going

GCE-1701-D 02-03-2008 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir num nums (Post 6630)
I am hoping HD-DVD will win over Blu-Ray. I think it would be funny as hell for Sony to bomb twice on something like this.

Anyone remember Beta Max?

Plus, Sony may not make another Play Station after this one, so all those Blu-Ray people would be screwed.

Sony Lost with Beta Max though because it had less storage space (i.e. 4 hours was it's maxium record time when VHS was at 6)

Raiden 02-03-2008 05:43 AM

Is there actually a clear winner yet so I can stand buying ?