The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Comments & Suggestions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tech issues (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308)

MissionTrek08 02-01-2008 10:10 PM

Tech issues

I can report this directly to the admin, but was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem: the entire site works well for me, but I find I get logged off rather frequently, and quite unlike other boards I visit (even those using the same board system). So I find no explanation for falling 'offline'.

Sometimes I'll find myself logged out even after just a brief stint reading a few posts, let alone if I'm away for a while (when I could at least expect to be bumped for inactivity). Wondering if there's some setting/cookie fix I can do on my side, or if this is a server-side thing?

Thanks.

tomalak301 02-01-2008 10:13 PM

It happened to me yesterday and I didn't know why. Today has been somewhat better.

Ktrek 02-01-2008 10:26 PM

I haven't been logged off once. Maybe your security is set too high?

The one complaint I do have is this:

On other message boards when I click a link I have visited before it takes me to the next "unread" message and this board takes you to the first message and I have to work my way completely through long threads to find where I left off reading. Very frustrating!

Kevin

BX XI 02-01-2008 10:42 PM

i have yet to encounter that on here, it has happened on other forums before but it usually fixes itself on it's own after a while.

one thing i do miss is that there is no "back to top of page" button

CoW mAn 02-01-2008 11:28 PM

I have noticed that when I go to the main forums page it APPEARS as if I'm no longer logged in but once I click on a subforum it looks and behaves as if I never logged out. Is it actually making you log in again to do anything or is it perhaps just an appearance thing like I've experienced?

sir num nums 02-02-2008 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoW mAn (Post 5648)
I have noticed that when I go to the main forums page it APPEARS as if I'm no longer logged in but once I click on a subforum it looks and behaves as if I never logged out. Is it actually making you log in again to do anything or is it perhaps just an appearance thing like I've experienced?

Same thing happens to me, so I just saved the log in page as my FAV.

sonofspock1 02-02-2008 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 (Post 5604)
I can report this directly to the admin, but was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem: the entire site works well for me, but I find I get logged off rather frequently, and quite unlike other boards I visit (even those using the same board system). So I find no explanation for falling 'offline'.

Sometimes I'll find myself logged out even after just a brief stint reading a few posts, let alone if I'm away for a while (when I could at least expect to be bumped for inactivity). Wondering if there's some setting/cookie fix I can do on my side, or if this is a server-side thing?

Thanks.

Nice to know i'm not the only one! I wroye this long post about Cloverfield, and when I clicked submit reply, i was told to refresh the page, and log in again. It is VERY annoying. :mad:

sir num nums 02-02-2008 08:27 AM

I also keep getting error messages when trying to post. I guess the forum is just to busy for the server? Maybe the forum was not expected to do this well so soon.

MissionTrek08 02-02-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoW mAn (Post 5648)

Yes, the same thing happens to me too, until I get into a topic, then it lists me as logged in at the upper right corner.

Appreciate the suggestion asking if my security is too high, but it happens to me on different computers which have different settings so that doesn't seem to be the problem (not all by itself, anyway).

Also, after I get 'dropped off' once or twice, then I seem to stay on fine thereafter -- and of course no browser settings have changed since the first try. Anyway, thanks for the feedback so far, all. I know there was a glitch activating my account at first, I wonder if that's related to this problem?

MissionTrek08 02-02-2008 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ktrek (Post 5625)
The one complaint I do have is this:

On other message boards when I click a link I have visited before it takes me to the next "unread" message and this board takes you to the first message and I have to work my way completely through long threads to find where I left off reading. Very frustrating!

Kevin

Kevin, instead of clicking the topic link you wish to visit, click the tiny 'down arrow' icon to the left of the text link -- that will take you to the first unread post in that topic.