The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   A Pregnant Man? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1237)

Enterprise Captain 03-27-2008 09:00 AM

A Pregnant Man?

Man who used to be a woman claims to be five months pregnant

Zardoz 03-27-2008 09:20 AM

Technically, yes.

NCC-73515 03-27-2008 09:29 AM

She/He is still genotype XX...

RedAlertRiker 03-27-2008 09:46 AM

i'm a little uncomfortable with this, im all for rights and freedoms, but i cant imagine what the sexchange chemicals are doing to that poor child, is he still taking hormones? testosterone? how wil he brest feed, will he lactate at all! this is ....unsettling to say the least.

Enterprise Captain 03-27-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC-73515 (Post 32601)
She/He is still genotype XX...

That's what makes this whole thing interesting, how do we define male and female now? Have we created something in between, a third sex maybe that needs to be defined?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedAlertRiker (Post 32615)
i'm a little uncomfortable with this, im all for rights and freedoms, but i cant imagine what the sexchange chemicals are doing to that poor child, is he still taking hormones? testosterone? how wil he brest feed, will he lactate at all! this is ....unsettling to say the least.

I have a lot of the same questions and concerns you do.

Botany Bay 03-27-2008 10:34 AM

I dont know what the issue is. The only thing I find questionable is what RedAlertRiker points out: How does it effect the child when the "mother" takes or has taken hormones? I dont know what medicine says about this.

Everything else is not a problem at all. How will he breast fead the child? Not at all, I guess.

And its not the genome, that is of interest in such a case, but the whomp. If its still there, then he is technically spoken still a women. Thats what most people misinterprete when talking of a sex change. Its a plastic surgery thing for the most part. Its not really a change of sex, thats not what is most important for this people, its a change of gender.

http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/index.html

Its important for transgender people to be seen and to feel like the opposite gender (whatever that means for the individual).

Enterprise Captain 03-27-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Botany Bay (Post 32696)
I dont know what the issue is. The only thing I find questionable is what RedAlertRiker points out: How does it effect the child when the "mother" takes or has taken hormones? I dont know what medicine says about this.

You answered your own question. The childs safety is the number one issue/concern. There are also some unanswered questions like who the father is because the mother is married to a female.

Botany Bay 03-27-2008 11:47 AM

Donor sperm... line seventeen.

Zardoz 03-27-2008 11:51 AM

It's still possible...likely...no...possible yes.

So far this person is only making a claim.

I can claim I am President of the Galxay, doesn't mean I am.

Enterprise Captain 03-27-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zardoz (Post 32752)
It's still possible...likely...no...possible yes.

So far this person is only making a claim.

I can claim I am President of the Galxay, doesn't mean I am.

That's right this hasn't been confirmed medically yet as far as we know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Botany Bay (Post 32747)
Donor sperm... line seventeen.

That is a possibility. If this case turns out to be true and donor sperm was used then we may have some legal issues on our hands if the baby is in some way harmed by the hormones the mother was taking. That's why this case is interesting. There are still a lot of what ifs right now because we don't have all the facts at hand yet.