The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Movies (I - X) (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   GENERATIONS...TOS or TNG (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12244)

Quark 06-05-2014 07:05 AM

GENERATIONS...TOS or TNG

What would you consider Star Trek Generations to be more of? A TOS film, a TNG film or a TOS/TNG film? To be honest, I know it's not really a TOS film, however I know there is a measure of TOS in the film throughout.

samwiseb 06-05-2014 09:25 PM

Definitely TNG.

The opening 15 minutes play out like a parallel universe, or essentially the original series setting viewed through a TNG filter. Indeed it's always been my perception that the two 'generations' might as well be alternate universes from each other (TNG was a reboot long before ST09 was).

LCARS 24 06-06-2014 06:29 AM

GEN is a TNG movie with a little historical background, burdened with the task of killing off Kirk.

NCC-73515 06-06-2014 07:08 PM

It was insane that the epic meeting of the two greatest captains turned into a cooking show.
The game was nice, though :D

LCARS 24 06-07-2014 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC-73515 (Post 330604)
It was insane that the epic meeting of the two greatest captains turned into a cooking show.

Exactly!

martok2112 06-07-2014 11:14 AM

Generations was a TNG television episode with special guest appearances by Walter Koenig, James Doohan, Whoopi Goldberg, and William Shatner.

horatio 06-14-2014 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC-73515 (Post 330604)

I disagree. The point of this scene as well as the previous one was to show the private bliss of Picard and Kirk. Without this there would have been no sacrificial choice between private bliss and public duty, Kirk would have just been "in action" as usual.

Roysten 06-16-2014 10:59 AM

It's definitely more TNG than TOS though IMO it's not really TNG either as the tone and use of the characters is really quite a departure from what we've come to expect from the ensemble TNG cast with a very Picard-centric story.

The opening scene was quite cool and I felt it was well executed but it didn't feel like TOS to me, I think this is because a lot of the humour and banter comes from the interaction between Kirk, Spock and McCoy and without those three all being present it's somewhat lacking. In fact for those who don't know it was meant to be those three but the dialogue got redistributed to Scotty and Chekov after Nimoy and Kelly turned down the cameos.

The death of Kirk never bothered me, it was quite fitting in a low-key sort of way as it allowed him to be reflective rather than just getting blown up after a huge crazy-drawn out battle. It still doesn't feel overly like TOS as it doesn't feel like a no-win scenario or that there's really that much at stake other than a never seen pre-industrial civilsation. Maybe that's the point and Picard saying "make a difference again" is more about a state of mind than actually doing something useful (not that saving millions of lives unseen or not isn't useful!)

NCC-73515 06-16-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horatio (Post 330618)
I disagree. The point of this scene as well as the previous one was to show the private bliss of Picard and Kirk. Without this there would have been no sacrificial choice between private bliss and public duty, Kirk would have just been "in action" as usual.

Sure, but they could have talked meaningful stuff (as they did a bit later) instead of talking dill XD

samwiseb 06-18-2014 06:12 AM

On a blank sheet of paper, there's no reason Kirk's and Picard's meeting has to take the form of a cooking show. Let alone have that cooking show take place within the final act of the movie.