The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ben Affleck is the new Batman (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12136)

Quark 08-24-2013 12:23 PM

Ben Affleck is the new Batman

As of two days ago, Ben Affleck has been announced as the next Batman. I am in the majority here when I say I seriously think a mistake has been made. Now, I know it's going tohappen aand there's nothing we can do about it. I'm just disappointed in the choice. Now, as most of you probably don't know, I'm an avid Batman fan. I love what Christopher Nolan did with the trilogy. I personally found The Dark Knight Rises to be the best Batman yet. With Affleck taking over the part, I'm just smelling nothing but a rehash of Daredevil. Anyway, here's the article. http://m.imdb.com/news/ni56087514/

kevin 08-24-2013 12:35 PM

I'm passing only because I thought Man of Steel was not a good film and have little interest in this sequel/universe building DC attempt at what Marvel has been doing.

That said, the internet response to it has been frankly pathetic. I understand fandom. I understand people taking to the point where 'their' version of how things 'should be' supercedes everyone else's and pushes into mildly disturbing territory (saw it with Abrams after all and people who negatively reviewed The Dark Knight Rises got death threats..............FYI it still wasn't the best of the three regardless) so it doesn't really surprise me he's getting this flack.

And it will be hard to follow on from Bale so quickly...............but it's overkill some of the stuff on the internet already. I'm not whiter than white on internet commenting and passions get raised. But my 'out' if you like is not being terribly interested in this film anyway.

samwiseb 08-24-2013 01:16 PM

I didn't like Man of Steel either. It just gave me that frustrated "I'm wasting my time here" feeling.

That's my only real opinion about any of this, unfortunately. I don't see a problem with re-casting/rebooting Batman again, it was going to happen. But using Man of Steel as the template or shooting off point just doesn't interest me that much.

omegaman 08-24-2013 01:36 PM

At first I thought—Holy crap! What a bad idea! But maybe he can pull it off—He's no Christian Bale though.

Quark 08-25-2013 07:38 AM

They should have gone with an unknown.

martok2112 08-25-2013 09:52 AM

Peronally, I enjoyed Man of Steel. Best fully realized Krypton yet. And even Jor-El got to kick some ***. :)

I'm none too keen on Ben Affleck as Batman, and I've seen that change.org has a petition of some 30,000 signatures for WB to remove Affleck from the casting as Batman.

I wonder how Nathan Fillion (Firefly) would do as Batsy?

Captain Tom Coughlin 08-25-2013 12:03 PM

I voted Horrible Choice, although that may be worded stronger than how I actually feel. I don't like the choice, but I'm willing to let him have his chance to prove me wrong.

So I was torn between horrible choice and I'll still see it, I think my real feelings are somewhere in the middle

Quark 08-25-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 329515)
...I've seen that change.org has a petition of some 30,000 signatures for WB to remove Affleck from the casting as Batman.

Honestly, I think WB could care less about the petition. Maybe this is what they wanted? Maybe they just are pretending to hear out the petition just to stir controversy and mess with us. I mean, it's the studio/director/suits that picked him, not the ones that matter...the fans. I mean, okay to be fair the fans aren't the only ones that should count, even a majority of general movie goes aren't thrilled about the choice. But as I heard someone on Facebook say, "even if it starred Shia LaBeouf as Batman, people would still see it." So, I guess they are just counting on that.

Heck, I don't think Daniel Craig's petition to kick him out wasn't this big.

Yagami Crewman 08-25-2013 05:12 PM

Maybe it could work if they had Kevin Conroy loop all of Afleck's dialogue...?

Quark 08-25-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman (Post 329521)
Maybe it could work if they had Kevin Conroy loop all of Afleck's dialogue...?

It doesn't fit his face. It would just look stupid, same with the Bale approach and make his voice all grumbly. Whenever Affleck gets mad, his voice gets higher. I think they should dub it, but not sure how it should sound.