The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   They FINALLY got Circuit Breakers on the Bridge! (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12106)

tannerwaterbury 06-07-2013 09:48 AM

They FINALLY got Circuit Breakers on the Bridge!

Something I noticed during the attack on the Enterprise: That ship was getting pummeled to high heaven, yet the bridge pretty much remained pristine the entire time! There wasn't any explosions or nothing, which to me seemed like it was about time. It was actually refreshing to see no sparks and bodies flying.

martok2112 06-07-2013 01:47 PM

If I recall, it was pretty much the same way when the Narada attacked the Big E in ST 2009 as well. :)

tannerwaterbury 06-07-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 329204)
If I recall, it was pretty much the same way when the Narada attacked the Big E in ST 2009 as well. :)

True, but I mean, compared to the Vengeance attack, the Narada attack was really short. In the other movies and episodes of Trek, whenever a ship was THAT badly damaged, you'd see the Bridge in pieces, flames and sparks flying all over the place and a few dead bodies. In this case, the designers of THIS Enterprise went above and beyond to make sure that the Bridge would remain operational and pristine during such severe attacks. Is this their way of saying "Yeah the Enterprise can take a beating!"

martok2112 06-07-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury (Post 329205)
True, but I mean, compared to the Vengeance attack, the Narada attack was really short. In the other movies and episodes of Trek, whenever a ship was THAT badly damaged, you'd see the Bridge in pieces, flames and sparks flying all over the place and a few dead bodies. In this case, the designers of THIS Enterprise went above and beyond to make sure that the Bridge would remain operational and pristine during such severe attacks. Is this their way of saying "Yeah the Enterprise can take a beating!"

I'd like to think so. :001_smile:

horatio 06-10-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury (Post 329203)
Something I noticed during the attack on the Enterprise: That ship was getting pummeled to high heaven, yet the bridge pretty much remained pristine the entire time! There wasn't any explosions or nothing, which to me seemed like it was about time. It was actually refreshing to see no sparks and bodies flying.

I am not so certain. One the one hand exploding consoles are ridiculous from a technical point of view and a cheap trick to endanger the bridge crew.
On the other hand Trek is not hard sci-fi, otherwise the bridge would not be exposed on deck 1 but deep in the innards of the ship, and it might be dramatically infeasible to show danger or damage, e.g. because your story focuses on the main characters who are nearly all on the bridge. Redshirt deaths or anonymous death reports, even if they are accompanied by showing the attack like in the Borg cutting a piece of the Enterprise out in "Q Who ?", have less of an emotional impact upon the audience than people on fire or flying around.

martok2112 06-10-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horatio (Post 329209)
I am not so certain. One the one hand exploding consoles are ridiculous from a technical point of view and a cheap trick to endanger the bridge crew.
On the other hand Trek is not hard sci-fi, otherwise the bridge would not be exposed on deck 1 but deep in the innards of the ship, and it might be dramatically infeasible to show danger or damage, e.g. because your story focuses on the main characters who are nearly all on the bridge. Redshirt deaths or anonymous death reports, even if they are accompanied by showing the attack like in the Borg cutting a piece of the Enterprise out in "Q Who ?", have less of an emotional impact upon the audience than people on fire or flying around.

Which lends itself to my philosophy: "Logic and physics will always yield to the needs of dramatic storytelling."

kevin 06-10-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 329211)
Which lends itself to my philosophy: "Logic and physics will always yield to the needs of dramatic storytelling."

That's pretty much the family motto!

martok2112 06-11-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin (Post 329212)
That's pretty much the family motto!

"Motto? What's a motto?"
"I don't know. What's a motto with you?"
:D

horatio 06-11-2013 12:05 PM

I think that one reason the exploding consoles rountine might have stopped in ST09 (OK, now the viewscreen window breaks and you have to fear to be sucked in space so life isn't really more comfy for the senior officers) is the brain vs. guts approach to designing the ship as opposed to the previous design notion that Starfleet ships are fairly homogenous.
In NuTrek you can tell whether you are in the primary or secondary section, in all other Trek incarnations you cannot.

martok2112 06-11-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horatio (Post 329216)
Starfleet ships are fairly homogenous.

Hell, and here I thought StarFleet ships were straight.

<-----runs....hides....

:D