The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Star Trek Into Darkness (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12090)

starbase63 05-14-2013 07:44 AM

Star Trek Into Darkness

Okay, who's seen it, and what did you think?

I'm sure many know the spoilers by now, but for the benefit of those who haven't yet, please try to keep them to a minimum at the very least.

I won't be able to see it until Saturday since I work nights now...

kevin 05-14-2013 09:18 AM

Not seen it yet. I know most of the spoilers at this point however.

thestartrekker 05-16-2013 12:39 PM

I've seen it, I thought it started well and then took a turn for the worse.

Star Trek 05-19-2013 07:28 PM

BRILLIANT.

This Trek is the all-time best...

Ever.

martok2112 05-20-2013 04:35 AM

OMG, I thought this forum was dead. Kept trying to post several times in the past couple months, and I would keep getting redirected to unintended target threads. Glad to see it was patched up. :)

My thoughts on Into Darkness:

Fun movie, but some of the revisits of old territory seemed a bit ridiculous. Not so much that it destroyed my overall enjoyment of the film. Great action and visuals....good emotional story...great villain.

I'd say this is as good as, but definitely not better than Trek 2009. :)

starbase63 05-20-2013 08:16 AM

Great villain, but I would have liked to have seen Cumberbatch play someone other than Khan. He was great as the "bad guy" but was he great as Khan?

I actually liked it up to the point they did the fanboy rewrite of TWOK, then I was kind of "....ehhh....." but they wrapped it up well and the five year mission is underway.

Must say, Pike's death was far more moving than Kirk's. Maybe because I've seen the way that scene originally played out, it killed the emotional impact for me, I don't know, but I'm a bit ticked that Pike is gone.

horatio 05-20-2013 09:01 AM

Haven't seen it and don't intend to but I do have a question nonetheless. How does the part with Section 31, Admiral Marcus, Khan and the Klingons play? I am asking as we already had a story with Klingons, Augments and Section 31 in ENT (Affliction & Divergence) so a straightforward comparison should be possible.

kevin 05-20-2013 09:22 AM

Overall I liked it pretty much.

I do think that it could have eased up on the pace of the action sequences because the first half hour and midsection of the film are actually quite good, building on the 2009 film and then taking the main characters to the next stage. But I thought it was often too much in a hurry to have the next sequence start. But some of the themes and conversations were going in an fair enough direction. I suspect a bit of deleted material exists here.

I think it's going good guns and where it's clearly diverging is once the main reveal (which in fairmess isn't really one) comes. For me, it certainly heavily riffs on TWOK, and the ending sequence itself doesn't have the devastation of TWOK. However, I felt that in dramatically mirroring TWOK they pulled their own meaning out of it and for me they just get away with it because I feel I can take a point from it about Kirk/Spock's relationship.

The action and visual effects were great, seeing lots of new worlds, aliens and life on Earth. And the cataclysmic finale certainly was a 'woah' sequence.

I tend to feel that Abrams and Co by the terms of the ending, actually tried to give 'new' viewers a sort of two movie 'Foundation Course' in the iconic parts of Trek (Who are the crew? What is the ship? Who are Klingons, Romulans, the Prime Directive etc) to sort of contextualise 'their' iteration of Star Trek before sending the crew out on the Five Year Mission.

But I wouldn't disagree elements of it are more immediately problematic, more out of a feeling of if the brakes had been applied a little bit more in places they could have delivered something that was better than the first film, rather than about the same.

Cumberbatch was great though. I have a more thorough set of thoughts on the other forum but I can't strictly be bothered copying and pasting it all over.

kevin 05-20-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 328929)
OMG, I thought this forum was dead. Kept trying to post several times in the past couple months, and I would keep getting redirected to unintended target threads. Glad to see it was patched up. :)

My thoughts on Into Darkness:

Fun movie, but some of the revisits of old territory seemed a bit ridiculous. Not so much that it destroyed my overall enjoyment of the film. Great action and visuals....good emotional story...great villain.

I'd say this is as good as, but definitely not better than Trek 2009. :)

Yeah, at the moment I like the first film overall better but felt that the story in the sequel had greater potential.

Yeah, went a bit FUBAR for a bit. Seems to be working again though.

Enterprise Captain 05-21-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horatio (Post 328933)
Haven't seen it and don't intend to but I do have a question nonetheless. How does the part with Section 31, Admiral Marcus, Khan and the Klingons play? I am asking as we already had a story with Klingons, Augments and Section 31 in ENT (Affliction & Divergence) so a straightforward comparison should be possible.

I saw it yesterday and if I remember correctly Admiral Marcus is the head of Starfleet who creates Section 31 to R&D new weapons as a direct result of the events of ST2009. Khan hides on Qo'noS after he attacks Starfleet headquarters. The Klingons engage Kirk and company when they go to apprehend Khan on Qo'noS.

On first viewing I thought overall this film was better than ST2009. There were fewer little things that bothered me making the film more enjoyable but the opening sequence was brutal. Clearly they didn't put much thought in to it:

It pisses some fans off because it's just something you thought would be cool to see. Instead of actually talking it out and coming to the logical conclusion that it doesn't make any sense, you forced it in there anyway because you wanted to see it.