The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   So, is All Out War in the Middle East inevitable? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12083)

omegaman 01-31-2013 10:55 AM

So, is All Out War in the Middle East inevitable?

Thoughts?

Captain Tom Coughlin 01-31-2013 11:06 AM

No. Syria is in no position to court war with Israel, and Russia won't do much more than posture. I think this whole thing dies down. Hezbollah may step up attacks, and Israel may respond against something like that, but then what else is new?

As far as all out war, no.

NCC-73515 01-31-2013 11:21 AM

They need a real neutral zone.

omegaman 01-31-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC-73515 (Post 328852)
They need a real neutral zone.

Agreed.

martok2112 01-31-2013 12:57 PM

They've been fighting over sand since as long as anyone can remember. I doubt peace will come anytime soon, but it's just as unlikely that they'll wanna glass the area. How could anyone be THAT insane?

horatio 01-31-2013 01:22 PM

What kind of all-out war? All I see is the old Shia crescent constellation, Iran and Syria supporting Hisbollah in Lebanon and Hamas in Gaza, and now Israel targeting the supply lines. I am not a fan of any of the players involved but nobody of them has an interest in a direct war.
Iran wants the bomb, like anybody else, as deterrence and Israel talks tough but won't attack Iran (openly).

Akula2ssn 01-31-2013 01:53 PM

If any of the powers at play had "balls" as some might say, or the resolution to go to all out war, or let call it what it is and say stupidity, they would have done so a long time ago if we were to go by the rhetoric. The last few wars in the region such as the Six Days War, Iran Iraq War, etc were costly and nobody really gained any clear advantages.

I'm inclined to agree that Israel won't do a whole lot openly. They'll do their little thing here and there, but most of what they do will be in secret. Yes, Israel has one of the best trained and best equipped forces in the region and even the world in a number of areas, but given their situation of practically being surrounded by governments that done like them (or each other for that matter) it just makes more sense for them to just rattle sabres to let everyone know they still exist and do the actual work under the table.

JR585 01-31-2013 06:19 PM

I hope the Romulans show up

Akula2ssn 02-01-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR585 (Post 328859)
I hope the Romulans show up

Why? They can probably drill in that region better than we can?

horatio 02-01-2013 12:00 PM

Fu*k the Romulans, these guys know all about drilling and fracking. ;)