The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Star Trek Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Poster! (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11992)

NCC-73515 12-03-2012 03:52 AM

New Poster!

http://www.startrekmovie.com/

kevin 12-03-2012 04:02 AM

Is that genuine?

I kinda like it, and the use of the Starfleet emblem on the sly.............but it's very The Dark Knight Rises.

I would guess that's Cumberbatch?

starbase63 12-03-2012 04:18 AM

Yes, it is...

Important to note what it says at the bottom of the poster. Though the release at startrek.com says to watch startrek.com for breaking news, the poster says:

StarTrekMovie.com

It looks like changes may be coming here very soon!

:thumbup:

horatio 12-03-2012 06:53 AM

Another evil madman destroys the world.

Jed Starkiller 12-03-2012 07:29 AM

If you leave it up for a while debris starts falling

Enterprise Captain 12-03-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin (Post 327560)
Is that genuine?

I kinda like it, and the use of the Starfleet emblem on the sly.............but it's very The Dark Knight Rises.

I would guess that's Cumberbatch?

It's a blatant rip off of The Dark Knight Rises poster. They even managed to work "Dark" in to the title. I'm not a fan:

tannerwaterbury 12-03-2012 09:43 AM

Its more than likely they will have us transfer to the startrekintodarkness.com website and have us post on the forums there.

samwiseb 12-03-2012 12:01 PM

I don't see a Dark Knight poster rip-off. There are a few resemblances. Poster also resembles that of Dredd, but maybe people didn't see that one (I know Ebert missed it; good movie btw). It's certainly nothing as blatant as ST 'ripping off' its own posters and slogans, something which I suspect they knew non-fans at the time wouldn't notice.

One dude on AintItCoolNews talkbacks commented that it's a poster about space, aliens and spaceships that does not show space, aliens or spaceships. Which I find interesting.

The similarities with the Dark Knight poster, I don't think they could have honestly expected people to miss it (or not try to accuse it of being 'ripped off' for that matter). Meaning it's now on them to really mean it, and to be confident that they are delivering a movie that isn't just a Dark Knight 'rip-off.' The disintegrating emblem speaks more to me than the synopsis: Starfleet is under attack from within. At its core, this has to mean something.

What is Starfleet? What is the Federation? I already know what Roddenberry thinks it is. I know what Berman thinks (Roddenberry thinks) it is. I know Bennett and Meyer didn't really care; it was the United States or something. I know DS9 had a few refreshingly original thoughts on the matter. And I know if you're talking to a drunken boy in a bar, you settle for saying it's an important peacekeeping armada and we need it. Maybe the target audience was that drunken boy. Star Trek? Why are you talking to me, man?

How do you dive into what Starfleet is to a 'movie' audience, which won't commit to the TV series on a weekly basis, in the space of two hours? Maybe you threaten to tear it down. The second movie of a franchise is usually its thematic core. The Dark Knight, The Empire Strikes Back, Superman II, Spider-Man 2, Terminator 2, The Godfather 2, X2, etc. It's the one where we find out what the Abrams team ultimately thinks Star Trek is. This is shaping up to be the movie naysayers accused them of not making last time.

kevin 12-03-2012 12:40 PM

You know, I wrote a whole reply there and this stupid thing chucked me out and I lost it. I ain't retyping it all now.

Basically - agree on use of emblem. Don't mind the resemblances. Still think description of Cumberbatch suits Mitchell and if it's Khan it clearly ain't a TWOK rerun to the letter. And that was about it.

starbase63 12-03-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain (Post 327567)
It's a blatant rip off of The Dark Knight Rises poster. They even managed to work "Dark" in to the title. I'm not a fan:

Looks to me like the same artist.

Seems influenced by John Berkey.