The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Olypmics (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11826)

Roysten 07-27-2012 09:24 AM

Olypmics

Not that I'm hugely bothered myself but I noticed that there aren't any topics regarding the Olympics and I wondered how people felt about them, excited, indifferent, irritated?

I'm personally nervous about whether England can pull off an opening ceremony after China and may follow a couple of events but ultimately have been mostly uninspired, perhaps that's with being a Northerner.

kevin 07-27-2012 09:36 AM

It's understandable given there has already been a snafu with the South Korean/North Korean flags.

I'm indifferent to it mostly. I'll watch the opening ceremony tonight to see if some of the rumours (some of which seem barmy) are true or not. Then will probably skip most of it. Who would have thought using Lovefilm to rent all of Star Trek: Voyager would come in so handy!

I'm glad I don't have to work in London while it's on though.

Roysten 07-27-2012 09:46 AM

Yeah I heard about that, not a good mistake to make.

Apparently Mitt Romney isn't particularly confident in the ability of London to put on a good event, we'll see I guess.

Have got some family in Stratford where it's all going on, probably not going to be that fun for them I imagine. Had a walk round myself a month or so ago, looks pretty cool and there's some good regeneration going on, but plenty of very high electrified fences as well, reminds me a little of Jurassic Park!

kevin 07-27-2012 09:51 AM

While I am no fan of David Cameron, I did like his comeback to Romney's remarks.

I haven't been down in London since last Spring so I wasn't near the building site at that time (heck, even The Shard was just a shapeless concrete monolith at that point) the employer I work for has had to put all kinds of alternate arrangements in place for staff inside the M25 zone and central London, and I have a couple of friends down there as well saying it will probably be quite chaotic really.

Captain Tom Coughlin 07-27-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roysten (Post 325589)
Not that I'm hugely bothered myself but I noticed that there aren't any topics regarding the Olympics and I wondered how people felt about them, excited, indifferent, irritated?

I'm personally nervous about whether England can pull off an opening ceremony after China and may follow a couple of events but ultimately have been mostly uninspired, perhaps that's with being a Northerner.

I generally prefer the winter games because Hockey is my favorite Olympic sport. Depending on what's on when here, I haven't really looked at the TV guides yet, I like to watch the boxing. I'm sure I'll watch some of the track and field stuff and the swimming too.

martok2112 07-27-2012 10:22 AM

Largely, I'm indifferent.

Captain Tom Coughlin 07-27-2012 10:28 AM

Former NY Giant and current Jackonsville Jaguar Aaron Ross's wife, Sanya Richards-Ross, is going to the Olympics in some of the track events. I'm going to keep track of how she does.

omegaman 07-27-2012 02:11 PM

Can't say I'm enthused about them. But I do hope everything goes off without a hitch.
If you're lucky enough to go, as I did in Sydney 2000, its well worth the experience! Good luck and enjoy!

Roysten 07-27-2012 04:11 PM

Have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the opening ceremony, it went without a hitch and actually stands up well to Bejing. Bejing was meant to impress and London seems to want to entertain, and I was entertained so thumbs up there.

can't say I've ever watched much of or about the winter games, closest thing being Cool Runnings I think!

martok2112 07-27-2012 06:00 PM

Had to be quite the honor for Daniel Craig to share the screen with the Queen. :) I imagine that was no easy thing to arrange either.