The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Just how big is the Battlestar Galactica? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11808)

martok2112 07-14-2012 10:32 PM

Just how big is the Battlestar Galactica?

Well, I've finally done it. I scaled up the Galactica so that she is scaled to standard animated avatars in iClone. Not miniaturized characters like in a previous demo I did....no...this is full scale.... Starbuck, the Viper he flies, Athena, the shuttles, and the Big G....all in scale to each other, and full-sized. Generally though, this set is really only for Viper and shuttle landings...it's not really intended to be a shooting set for combat and such...because sometimes parts of the Galactica will disappear beyond the range of the set itself...but I did want to do this one quick demo to show just how big she really is. I also added a little more internal detail to the landing bay....like I said, this is going to be my landing shot model.

Well, without further ado, let's marvel at the ginormousness of the mighty battlestar, Galactica.

http://youtu.be/w9CvUcj_rVg

kevin 07-15-2012 07:08 AM

I don't know quite why, but it took me a second to realise that this was the original BSG ship and not the reimagined one.

I have to say, I probably slightly prefer the original over the latter because the latter looked a little denser and more armour plated, sorta meaner and more aggressive seeming than the more graceful looking 1970s version.

martok2112 07-15-2012 07:29 AM

Hi, Kevin,

LOL! Yeah, this does kinda start out with a closeup that could make it hard to determine whether or not this is the original or reimagined ship. I myself am rather partial to the original design myself for the very reasons you cited, except in reverse. I always felt that the original Galactica looked more armor plated, and meaner. :)

I am going to probably start work on a project that will combine both BSG universes in such a way that it actually works....largely at least in the tech realm. :)

kevin 07-15-2012 07:37 AM

I think I think that because the central section of the original ship is trimmer and has the more delicate looking landing pods with the central cradle having more visible space through it, whereas the reimagined ship is a lot more 'filled in' looking.

Sort of like how in Starfleet starship design you get the steady elimination of the slim dorsal on the Constitution Class over the years to something chunkier (on the Excelsior Class) to it's then virtual eliminaton on the Intrepid and Sovereign Classes (notwithstanding slightly design exceptions like the Galaxy Class' flared out cobra head neck) and the second Galactica does away with a lot of the space around the midsection the original had.

I'm trying to remember if Nu-BSG ever showed 'original' Battlestars. I have a feeling they did in the fourth season opener that flashed back to the original Cylon War, but I don't know if there was any great time spent seeing them.

martok2112 07-15-2012 07:12 PM

I think the only time an original series battlestar was seen was during the miniseries, when we see the Galactica museum, which features an original series Cylon Centurion, a Raider, a Cylon baseship, and a Colonial Viper. Also in the miniseries, at the very beginnning, the shuttle approaching Armistice Station is an original series shuttle.

However, in the episode/telemovie "Razor" we see a flashback to the first Cylon war, and we see an original series Cylon baseship fighting a couple of battlestars. That's where we also see original series Raiders.

horatio 07-21-2012 12:31 AM

I like your style and the voice work is also excellent. The sound effect from the hangar bay sounds slightly familiar. ;)
How large is the thing officially? I guess longer than a kilometer.

martok2112 07-21-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horatio (Post 325356)
I like your style and the voice work is also excellent. The sound effect from the hangar bay sounds slightly familiar. ;)
How large is the thing officially? I guess longer than a kilometer.

Hi, Horatio. Thanks for the kind words. :)
I did use a sound effect from Star Trek The Next Generation for the hangar bay doors....I used a pitched down version of the holodeck doors.

As for how large the original Big G is officially, I don't think there's ever been an official release on that. I think there was official release for the new series ship (I think around 2,200 meters), but not the classic.

Most of us in the Galactica aficionado community agree that the Big G is likely around 2km long, which would make it a little larger than a star destroyer from Star Wars (and I've gone with that notion).

horatio 07-21-2012 02:02 PM

Wow, three times as long as the D.
I think that BSG is pretty overrated as oh-so-intelligent-and-allegorical sci-fi but as entertaining aircraft carrier in space action show it is great. It also reminds me of the old game Freespace 2.

Saquist 07-21-2012 02:24 PM

I don't think it's yet to be determined if the NuBSG could have the space to withdraw those arms. it looks suspect to me, like a gimmick.

martok2112 07-21-2012 11:11 PM

I think the game "Beyond the Red Line" which is a Battlestar Galactica game made by a fan of the new show is done on the Freespace 2 engine. :)

I have a die cast metal miniature of the nu Big G, and the arms retract into their proper place....but that's just a miniature.

Did you know that in the novelization of the original Battlestar Galactica, the Galactica was to have swing out landing arms as well?