The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Kurtzman: Cumberbatch’s Villain is Scary + Star Trek Sequel Delayed To ‘Protect’ Fran (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11752)

omegaman 06-15-2012 07:36 PM

Kurtzman: Cumberbatch’s Villain is Scary + Star Trek Sequel Delayed To ‘Protect’ Fran

http://trekmovie.com/2012/06/15/alex...anel-for-sdcc/

Saquist 06-15-2012 07:57 PM

Yeah there was alot of "LOVE" in the last movie...love of Star Wars and a love of dramatic license.

Not necessarily bad but in this case it was.
Building ships on the ground for dramatic license
Star Wars Warp jump for dramatic license
Lens flares for dramatic license
Villain compromises for dramatic license
Reality compromise for dramatic license

What ever happened to creating drama by means of just plain good writing...why all this cheating. Abramss talks a good game but I'm not falling for this again.

martok2112 06-15-2012 08:35 PM

As long as the story is entertaining, and not overwrought with pretentious intellectualism, or pseudo-intellectualism, I'll take dramatic license over "bogging the story down with logic and details" any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. :)

samwiseb 06-15-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 324438)
As long as the story is entertaining, and not overwrought with pretentious intellectualism, or pseudo-intellectualism, I'll take dramatic license over "bogging the story down with logic and details" any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. :)

Word.

Saquist 06-15-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

I don't think over doing anything is what Trek is about.
But neither is it about meaningless satiation. There has to be a middle ground.

martok2112 06-15-2012 09:35 PM

To me, the best Trek stories were definitely the TOS era ones, because they DID find that middle ground. :)

samwiseb 06-15-2012 10:04 PM

I think. Certainly that is true with the better feature films. As well as the 'earlier' eps of the original series by and large.

kevin 06-15-2012 11:30 PM

I do tend to believe there's a small percentage of spin in there BUT it was obvious last year that because of other things trying to meet the June 2012 date just couldn't happen if done anywhere close to properly. It's not like Paramount NOT to try and force a movie to be ready for a release date so I'm certainly getting the sense they were trying to be more careful with this one.

Star Trek as a series never quite burdened itself with a whole of plot sense or logic in it's life. Not really. Not if you want to pop the hood and really root around. But there are definitely episodes that went too far over the 'middle line' in the silly direction. Not many went in the other direction. It's pretty much middle or way over it and Abrams couldn't have invented dramatic license in Trek if he tried to.

It's only when we don't like the individual results (be they Nemesis or Abrams) that we trot out all the reasons why it's this and that (I know that because I DO it myself) and...........well, yawn.

kevin 06-15-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

And most people do.

samwiseb 06-16-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin (Post 324446)
Star Trek as a series never quite burdened itself with a whole of plot sense or logic in it's life. Not really. Not if you want to pop the hood and really root around. But there are definitely episodes that went too far over the 'middle line' in the silly direction. Not many went in the other direction. It's pretty much middle or way over it and Abrams couldn't have invented dramatic license in Trek if he tried to.

It's only when we don't like the individual results (be they Nemesis or Abrams) that we trot out all the reasons why it's this and that (I know that because I DO it myself) and...........well, yawn.

I can agree with that.

I just assumed the middle ground in this case was between entertaining and pretentious/pseudo-intellectual. I wasn't thinking of actual intellect or logic. My bad.