The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   AVP vs. Prometheus in Alien mythology (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11745)

chator 06-14-2012 10:15 AM

AVP vs. Prometheus in Alien mythology

It's pretty obvious that AVP and Prometheus don't belong in the same universe, their mythologies clash and contradict one another. I suppose one can ride off AVP as occuring in that What If crossover universe where so many unlikelies cross-over and clash, like Doctor Who meeting up with the Next Generation crew. AVP undercuts the basic premise of the original Alien, a crew must be sent out far into space to find and bring back the Alien creature. In AVP the alien creature is on Earth and has been for millenium, the oldest of human cultures worshipped it. In AVP, we see Weyland die a differnt kind of death than in Prometheus. Yet, it seems Promethus may have drawn a bit from AVP for inspiration; Weyland's death, the archeology angle with ancient human civilizations and ancient alien contact tying into the story and providing a backdrop.

kevin 06-14-2012 10:37 AM

I suppose I tend to dismiss the AvP films as...............well, I guess the polite word would be garbage, although I have others............so I think I probably would tend to 'conveniently' ignore that they exist in general!

martok2112 06-14-2012 02:46 PM

I lump the AvP movies (which I did enjoy) in the "what if" or "alternate timeline" category. :)

samwiseb 06-14-2012 04:46 PM

I'm still too afraid to watch them. The original A L I E N is in my top five films of all time.

martok2112 06-15-2012 04:01 PM

I'm sure for many Alien and/or Predator fans, the "what if" of AvP in movie form was more of a "what the?!" :D

jla1987 06-16-2012 12:12 PM

The AvP movies are the equivalent of the silly Universal Monster mashups that came late in the monster movie run. They attempt to have continuity with the other movies, but nobody really pools them in with the original classics.

NCC-73515 06-16-2012 12:26 PM

The first was not bad at all, but the second was XD

I-Am-Zim 06-18-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 324415)
I lump the AvP movies (which I did enjoy) in the "what if" or "alternate timeline" category. :)

Me too. Same thing with STXI:D

martok2112 06-18-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim (Post 324572)
Me too. Same thing with STXI:D

Which is a good way to look at it if it doesn't quite fit your idea of canon or history. :)
I can tell ya this much....I knew right off the bat that Prometheus was going to completely undermine any history that the AvP movies tried to inject into the Alien and Predator universes. So yeah, I put them in the "AU" category. :)

Quark 06-24-2012 01:07 PM

As much as it pains me, I would have to say that some aspect of P R O M E T H E U S does share itself in the same universe as AvP only that P R O M E T H E U S is in the same universe as the Alien franchise. The character of Bishop, who is in both Aliens and Alien 3, is in the first AvP and it all is a prequel to the Alien series of films. Well, I guess AvP is more of a prequel to the Predator series, but at the same time I guess they are all in the same universe.