The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Star Trek Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   USS Enterprise, makes its final voyage (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11591)

Jim in St. Louis 03-11-2012 03:10 PM

USS Enterprise, makes its final voyage

Storied carrier, USS Enterprise, makes its final voyage | CTV News

The Enterprise is heading to the Middle East on its seven-month deployment, where it will be on standby in case of conflict with Iran or piracy threats off Somalia, among other things. The ship has experience with both scenarios, participating in a retaliatory strike against Iran for mining the Persian Gulf in 1988 and responding last year to the hijacking of a sailing vessel by Somali pirates, during which all four Americans on board were shot and killed.

The deployment will be the ship's 22nd. Following its return to Virginia in the fall, tens of thousands are expected to be on hand for a deactivation ceremony Dec. 1

Ensign James T. Kirk 03-11-2012 07:29 PM

Farewell Enterprise, and we thank you.

Saquist 03-11-2012 10:04 PM

I have already signed the petition to have next carrier named Enterprise

http://ussenterp.epetitions.net/sign...tition_id=1870

Quark 03-11-2012 10:24 PM

I wonder what they plan on doing with the ship afterwards. Make it a museum...on second thought that would be a pretty damn large museum. Hopefully they will have it permanently docked for tours or something of the sort, but who knows. They might just scrap it.

omegaman 03-12-2012 01:11 AM

Can't they tie this baby up along side the Intrepid in New York?

kevin 03-12-2012 07:16 AM

I might need to have a look round the web for where I read it, or maybe someone more versed can confirm or correct me, but I had read that due to her Nuclear Wessels status the way they will have to remove her Nuclear material means that they essentially have to gut her out to do it safely, which means her whole lower half internally would be ripped out.

Which would make it difficult to make her a museum etc as she would be very incomplete inside. I think I had read of a proposal to make her an undersea coral reef though by controlled sinking.

horatio 03-12-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ensign James T. Kirk (Post 322189)
Farewell Enterprise, and we thank you.

For what, having participated in the Iran-Iraq war? Somebody obviously forgot that the same guys who worked together with Saddam bombed the sh*t out of him two decades later. How much history has to trickle down the stream until people learn the flaws of the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of thinking?
For what, f**king with Somali pirates? Somebody obviously forgot that the cause of the problem down there is anarchy which enables us Europeans to steal their fish and dump our waste down there which again forces them into another occupation. We are the pirates, not them.

It be really sweet and easy if a bunch of capitals ships made the world a safer place but alas, it is far more complicated.

Commodore 03-13-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quark (Post 322192)
I wonder what they plan on doing with the ship afterwards. Make it a museum...on second thought that would be a pretty damn large museum. Hopefully they will have it permanently docked for tours or something of the sort, but who knows. They might just scrap it.

They do plan on scrapping her. Removing her nuclear reactors will compromise her hull to the point that it will be too expensive to put her back together again to use as a museum.

Ensign James T. Kirk 03-15-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horatio (Post 322195)
For what, having participated in the Iran-Iraq war? Somebody obviously forgot that the same guys who worked together with Saddam bombed the sh*t out of him two decades later. How much history has to trickle down the stream until people learn the flaws of the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of thinking?
For what, f**king with Somali pirates? Somebody obviously forgot that the cause of the problem down there is anarchy which enables us Europeans to steal their fish and dump our waste down there which again forces them into another occupation. We are the pirates, not them.

It be really sweet and easy if a bunch of capitals ships made the world a safer place but alas, it is far more complicated.

I was not making political comment, nor any analysis of US foreign policy, US Navy policy, or the British Admiralty, or even Upper Weebistan's army.

I live in a Navy town; these people give their lives to these ships, and in return the vessels are their homes and refuges for months at a time.

Feel free to trash me personally if it pleases you. Otherwise, please don't quote me when I make innocuous comments.

Thanks in advance.

horatio 03-15-2012 10:41 AM

Weebistan, lovely "I don't give a sh*t about countries I know nothing about" attitude.
But, guess what, I give a sh*t. Not about fu*king ships but human lives. Having decent healthcare instead of getting ignored by the institution they choose to serve because it is utterly corrupted would matter far more to soldiers than some stupid piece of machinery.