The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Photo of the Day! (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11390)

Ditroi 11-17-2011 02:32 PM

Photo of the Day!

I'm not sure if everyone has seen and shown around this photo yet, forgive me! But I'll toss this out. I really like this one... the filming of the scene is as intense as the scene itself! People are piling up on each other!

horatio 11-17-2011 03:01 PM

Who is this guy, Lon Suder or Spock?
I never understood the supposed greatness of this scene. Marooning fellow officers for insubordination and nearly killing them is not Vulcan, it is psychopathic.

Still beyond me how Nimony decided prostitute himself on his old days and care more about the money than about his integrity. He probably hung out too much with Shatner. :D

canadianrosey 11-17-2011 09:01 PM

Spock marooning Kirk was a silly plot device. Nearly killing him was an emotional reaction to losing his home, most of his race, and watching his mother die just before a mouthy underling started belittling him in front of the crew. It was very captivating seeing Spock reacting like a wounded person lashing out in pain and frustration; his human nature should be explored, as well.

Not sure why you felt the need to bash Nimoy, but have it your way.

kevin 11-17-2011 09:37 PM

Underneath all that mask of logic Vulcans are quite a few things.................and they ain't all pretty things!

The scene on the bridge is fine and even if the marooning is a stretch it doesn't derail anything for me.

As to Nimoy..............I'd have to figure that he was perfectly aware on the script. It's not like he's Shatner in general. Though, I would likely be interested to hear his opinion and perspective on some of the actions which Spock took in the film. I'm figuring he was able to see it as 'in character'.

horatio 11-18-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianrosey (Post 319720)
Spock marooning Kirk was a silly plot device. Nearly killing him was an emotional reaction to losing his home, most of his race, and watching his mother die just before a mouthy underling started belittling him in front of the crew. It was very captivating seeing Spock reacting like a wounded person lashing out in pain and frustration; his human nature should be explored, as well.

Not sure why you felt the need to bash Nimoy, but have it your way.

Then read again what I wrote, the Spock in the script Nimoy got to read has nothing to do with the Spock he has portrayed over years.
Spock marooning Kirk was not just a silly plot device, Spock was cool and acted like a Romulan in this scene. I don't have to quote Frost's Fire and Ice again to make my point, do I?

As you pointed out the other scene is a totally different animal because Spock loses control and resigns command after he realizes what he has done. It is only unbearable in the context of Sarek telling his son to not suppress his nasty emotions. Yeah, tell him to go ape-sh*t like your ancestors such that the audience can wonder how this fellow became more than a clerk on Vulcan.

Captain Tom Coughlin 11-18-2011 08:34 AM

The marooning scene was a bit of stretch for me. That and the instant promotions. Those things were not deal breakers for me though. Even after all this time has passed and I've had time to reflect on the film, I'm still a fan. It gave a dying Trek franchise a much needed shot in the arm, and did more right than it did wrong. At least in my opinion.

Captain Tom Coughlin 11-18-2011 08:35 AM

And I liked the bridge scene

horatio 11-18-2011 08:46 AM

I also think that it did far more things right than wrong. But because the things that went wrong are not of a technical or accidental nature they might be persistent. This worries me.

Captain Tom Coughlin 11-18-2011 08:47 AM

I do think that the next film will follow roughly the same formula.

kevin 11-18-2011 08:47 AM

You know - I ranked it third in my listing of the films almost as soon as I saw it and it's pretty much stayed there since.

I really don't have a vastly different opinion of it yet to then.