The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Constitution-class in the 24th century! Here's the proof! (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11226)

Quark 08-05-2011 11:34 AM

Constitution-class in the 24th century! Here's the proof!

I was watching some screencaps of "The Best of Both Worlds" parts I and II and I discovered that when the Enterprise arrived to Wolf 359, you can notice a damaged secondary hull of a Constitution-class refit. Now, I'm not sure if they are still in service, or if they were pulled out of mothballs just to confront the Borg...even though I'm sure they would barley make any difference compared to the Galaxy or Sovereign-class ships hehe! But still, something I noticed!

omegaman 08-05-2011 02:00 PM

Pulled out of mothballs for sure.

NCC-73515 08-05-2011 02:18 PM

Check the last pages of the awesome DS9 manual for some scary ship mixes ;)

Quark 08-05-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman (Post 316460)
Pulled out of mothballs for sure.

Well, at least she played her part.

omegaman 08-05-2011 03:16 PM

Can't keep a sturdy ship like that in mothballs forever!

Futureguy 08-05-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman (Post 316472)
Can't keep a sturdy ship like that in mothballs forever!

Maybe the Enterprise A? Would have been a somber entry, especially if Enterprise D had mentioned it. Never read or heard of her being scrapped after ST XI. Though by all logical thinking...A ship that had taken the beating that the A had would have been salvaged easier than repaired, but Scotty may have had a few favors to call in. (Repair and keep in a museum) Perhaps a story to write, but better left unsaid and for the viewer to guess how the A managed to get there. IDK, but still would have been cool.:D

kevin 08-06-2011 03:23 AM

This is where I personally would have probably gone out of my way to make sure it clearly was NOT the Ent-A. Just fanboyism at play. Or just not put it in there period.

I can just picture the apoplexy of the TOS based reaction that that was how the TNG makers decided to end the life of the ship...................as Borg canon fodder.

Bad idea all round, since there were other Connie's on the go.

NCC-73515 08-06-2011 08:23 AM

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...m#constitution

Futureguy 08-06-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin (Post 316478)
This is where I personally would have probably gone out of my way to make sure it clearly was NOT the Ent-A. Just fanboyism at play. Or just not put it in there period.

I can just picture the apoplexy of the TOS based reaction that that was how the TNG makers decided to end the life of the ship...................as Borg canon fodder.

Bad idea all round, since there were other Connie's on the go.

Ship I saw in the screen shot was banged up pretty bad. (Well looking again, she was pretty much toast as far as the saucer.......)
So It would have been better to leave the "A" as we last saw her going to the scrap heap? (as I assumed she was) The "A" was thought to be no more...:sad:
No less canon fodder that any other of the many ships there, as was the "D".

Nope did not have to be the "A" but if you're going to put a CC in there...
I can't be the only one who would have hoped/thought so. Not "fanboyism", just a hopeful chain of thought that would have worked, but did not need to be necessarily that way. The story worked fine as it was. It would have changed the drift of the story at that point. The "A"'s crew sacrificing themselves/the ship for the defense of Earth and the Federation. 'Twas just a thought...

kevin 08-06-2011 09:11 AM

You probably aren't the only one who would have hoped for better and fortunately I would have said the exact same thing to any sort of suggestion no matter what.

As it happens I don't have the slightest problem with the idea of the A being sent to mothballs or even broken up for scrap after her sunset voyage home.................it's what happens with a large number of ships in the real world whether they have had illustrious histories or not. They come to the end of their life, unromantically.

It would likely happen in Starfleet as well.