The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Movies (I - X) (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Pioneer 10 (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10709)

Quark 05-15-2010 09:40 AM

Pioneer 10

In Star Trek V, after Klaa attacks the NASA space probe, we can hear it screaming. Is there reason to believe that it is alive? I mean, if this was a ship that was sent from the 20th century to explore space, could it have somehow ended up like V'Ger or something and become alive in and of itself? Or was it just a little something that Shatner wanted to add in?

horatio 05-15-2010 02:09 PM

I have no real answer but I have also wondered about the significance of this scene. Perhaps it is meant to be an inside-joke and refer to V'Ger, perhaps it is Shatner's way to show the audience in the very beginning of the movie that Klingons don't like humans.

Quark 05-15-2010 02:13 PM

Probably. But yeah, it was just space garbage to them.

NCC-73515 05-15-2010 04:33 PM

The Narada screams like a hawk when it passes by ;) And when the Enterprise escaped that warp-core-meets-black-hole explosion, she sported an intergalactic fart.

Quark 05-17-2010 08:07 AM

Hahaha! Yeah, the Narada seemed to have whistled or something when she passes by lol.

kevin 05-17-2010 08:26 AM

The 'scream' is an oddity - I guess I've often just rationalised it as the metal being torn apart and just kind of sounding that way.

No sound in space notwithstanding of course!

NCC-73515 05-17-2010 08:46 AM

And what's your explanation for the black hole fart? XD

TheTrekkie 05-17-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horatio (Post 303790)
I have no real answer but I have also wondered about the significance of this scene. Perhaps it is meant to be an inside-joke and refer to V'Ger, perhaps it is Shatner's way to show the audience in the very beginning of the movie that Klingons don't like humans.

I think the joke is that goal of the probe is making contact with Alien lifeforms and showing them that there is an other intelligent lifeform, humans.
But when the probe finally fulfills its purpose and meets an alien lifeforme for these Aliens (the Klingons) the probe only is space garbadge, a good target to test their weapons.

Captain Tom Coughlin 05-17-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTrekkie (Post 303831)
I think the joke is that goal of the probe is making contact with Alien lifeforms and showing them that there is an other intelligent lifeform, humans.
But when the probe finally fulfills its purpose and meets an alien lifeforme for these Aliens (the Klingons) the probe only is space garbadge, a good target to test their weapons.

That is how I see the scene too.

kevin 05-17-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC-73515 (Post 303829)
And what's your explanation for the black hole fart? XD

Compressed solar wind drawn in at one end being released? :D