The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Star Wars: Attack of the Clones review (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10657)

MagaditH 04-07-2010 09:55 PM

Star Wars: Attack of the Clones review

:thumbup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBhi...eature=related

Cabo 5150 04-08-2010 12:32 AM

Very funny, but (sadly) largely on the button. Coincidently, I watched AOTC for the first time in years two weeks ago. I was truly shocked at how - umm - bored I was. I almost didn't make it to the end of the movie - it's just so utterly flat and lifeless. As an example of this, I feel the CG has dated quite badly, resembling little more than a glorified cartoon in places. My point, if the film was actually any good - with believable (not cringeworthy) dialogue/engaging characters - this wouldn't really be an issue, as has been repeatedly demonstrated by other sci-fi with somewhat dodgy SFX.

jla1987 04-08-2010 05:45 AM

I love this guy's reviews! He gets it right on the TNG movies as well!

kevin 04-08-2010 12:29 PM

Car crash guy? Yeah, he's pretty sharp.

Obviously the sequels have issues - so do the first ones - but I do agree that in some places the over-ambitious CGI looks like CGI nowadays and isn't as impressive as it was on original release.

martok2112 04-08-2010 05:23 PM

I can only listen to this guy's voice (drunk? retarded?....both?) for about five seconds.

jla1987 04-08-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 302554)
I can only listen to this guy's voice (drunk? retarded?....both?) for about five seconds.

I believe it's an act...

Cabo 5150 04-09-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin (Post 302524)
Obviously the sequels have issues - so do the first ones

Not sure I can agree with this, in their original form I think Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are certainly two of the finest fantasy genre movies of all time, even if not strictly sci-fi.

Of course, every movie has issues, but the difference in quality between these and and any of the prequels is staggering.

kevin 04-09-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cabo 5150 (Post 302604)
Not sure I can agree with this, in their original form I think Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are certainly two of the finest fantasy genre movies of all time, even if not strictly sci-fi.

Of course, every movie has issues, but the difference in quality between these and and any of the prequels is staggering.

Oh they're nowhere near sci-fi really, definitely closer to fantasy and I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I can't help but find it itself exceptionally simplistic storytelling of a very straightforward kind.

Of course, it's really all the complaining about Avatar's story being variously 'predictable', 'simple' etc, etc that reminded me how simple Star Wars also is, because although Avatar does have a simple story people tend to miss the point - epics and wannabe epics seldom have a complex story at their heart.

The comparison that some reviewers gave the two films is not undeserved. Both are pure cinema spectacle - with an easy peasy back of a postcard size story! (but I digress).....

Empire is good, great even (always interesting it's the one Lucas gave to others to write!) and Jedi suffers from common third film syndrome where some of the resolutions to all the various strands aren't quite as satisfying as might have been hoped from Empire.

I actually like the prequels focus on the politics of the Republic and the shift to Palpatine driving much of the story. It's a generally darker trilogy and has big faults but I really don't see that Lucas could (storywise) have done a whole lot differently.

The big elements had already been pretty well theorised for years anyway. They genuinely aren't the best films of the entire saga but I do think the prequels get unfairly maligned at times and the original trilogy sometimes overly garlanded as well.

jla1987 04-09-2010 01:56 PM

*Call me crazy*

I prefer Star Wars and Return of the Jedi to Empire. Don't ask why...I just always have.

Admiral Archer 04-09-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jla1987 (Post 302617)
*Call me crazy*

I prefer Star Wars and Return of the Jedi to Empire. Don't ask why...I just always have.

As far as the original trilogy goes, my sentiments exactly! :thumbup:

Below are listed my preferences of the STAR WARS films:

1 - Return of the Jedi
2 - Revenge of the Sith
3 - The Phantom Menace
4 - A New Hope
5 - The Empire Strikes Back
6 - Attack of the Clones