The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spocks Future Knowledge (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10538)

Omikse 02-03-2010 06:24 PM

Spocks Future Knowledge
 
Just thinking about this and I have not seen a topic on it yet but since the time line has been changed, Spock should talk about all the future tech he knows about. It will not change future events because since the time line has been changed, things will not unfold the same way. Just think, 24th century tech in the 23rd century.

What do you think?

Kaboom 02-03-2010 07:09 PM

Well, he already did purposefully introduce something in the new timeline. He gave Scotty some "help" figuring out his Transwarp Transport equation thingamajig, decades before Scotty would have otherwise worked it out on his own. He should do him another favor, and warn him to never step foot on the Jenolan. XD

Overall, since he's stuck in this "alternate" timeline, to which the Temporal Prime Directive likely doesn't apply much to, he'd probably see fit to warn the Federation about a few of the "big" things that might threaten it or its present and future allies. Like V'Ger, the Whale Probe, the destruction of Praxis, the Borg, the freakin' Nexus, etc... It'd be hard to predict how things would change, but the Federation and humanity might end up better off for it.

As for introducing more advanced technology... Well, Spock didn't exactly bring much of that back WITH him aside from the Jellyfish, which was destroyed. But Starfleet already got itself a nice boost in the wake of the Kelvin incident. Didn't even really need Spock for that one.

Captain Tom Coughlin 02-03-2010 07:14 PM

I'm thinking that they will just avoid the whole issue in the sequels and just tell some straight forward stories going on. I doubt Prime Spock is even going to be in them, although it's not impossible. Just a feeling.

Futureguy 02-03-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaboom (Post 298213)

As for introducing more advanced technology... Well, Spock didn't exactly bring much of that back WITH him aside from the Jellyfish, which was destroyed. But Starfleet already got itself a nice boost in the wake of the Kelvin incident. Didn't even really need Spock for that one.

I just wonder, story-wise in the movie, that new Spock may have had time to download the Jellyfish's database to the Enterprise before it crashed into the Narada. New Spock would have been interacting with the new technology before then.

wade8069 02-04-2010 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin (Post 298214)
I'm thinking that they will just avoid the whole issue in the sequels and just tell some straight forward stories going on. I doubt Prime Spock is even going to be in them, although it's not impossible. Just a feeling.

I can understand you.:thumbup:

Omikse 02-05-2010 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin (Post 298214)
I'm thinking that they will just avoid the whole issue in the sequels and just tell some straight forward stories going on. I doubt Prime Spock is even going to be in them, although it's not impossible. Just a feeling.


Although you make a valid point, that was not the question? I am not asking if he will be in the next movie. What I want to know is if you think he would devuldge that knowledge or not. Knowing Spock, I don't think he would because he would remain loyal to the Prime Timeline, but as stated before, I do not think the Temporal Prime Directive applies here since this is a new time line. I think he should give the Federation a Technological Advantage over the Alpha quadrant. Could you imagine the DS9 Defient in early Kirk time.

DNA-1842 02-05-2010 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omikse (Post 298361)
Although you make a valid point, that was not the question? I am not asking if he will be in the next movie. What I want to know is if you think he would devuldge that knowledge or not. Knowing Spock, I don't think he would because he would remain loyal to the Prime Timeline, but as stated before, I do not think the Temporal Prime Directive applies here since this is a new time line. I think he should give the Federation a Technological Advantage over the Alpha quadrant. Could you imagine the DS9 Defient in early Kirk time.

The DS9 Defiant... Only ten times bigger!

JoeFromEarth 02-06-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaboom (Post 298213)
Overall, since he's stuck in this "alternate" timeline, to which the Temporal Prime Directive likely doesn't apply much to, he'd probably see fit to warn the Federation about a few of the "big" things that might threaten it or its present and future allies. Like V'Ger, the Whale Probe, the destruction of Praxis, the Borg, the freakin' Nexus, etc...

perhaps the next movie could be about him solving all these big things in one go? /sarcasm

kevin 02-06-2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaboom (Post 298213)
Well, he already did purposefully introduce something in the new timeline. He gave Scotty some "help" figuring out his Transwarp Transport equation thingamajig, decades before Scotty would have otherwise worked it out on his own. He should do him another favor, and warn him to never step foot on the Jenolan. XD

Overall, since he's stuck in this "alternate" timeline, to which the Temporal Prime Directive likely doesn't apply much to, he'd probably see fit to warn the Federation about a few of the "big" things that might threaten it or its present and future allies. Like V'Ger, the Whale Probe, the destruction of Praxis, the Borg, the freakin' Nexus, etc... It'd be hard to predict how things would change, but the Federation and humanity might end up better off for it.

As for introducing more advanced technology... Well, Spock didn't exactly bring much of that back WITH him aside from the Jellyfish, which was destroyed. But Starfleet already got itself a nice boost in the wake of the Kelvin incident. Didn't even really need Spock for that one.

I think there's a difference between imparting information in situations that require it (i.e the Transporter equation which was needed to get them back onto the ship, but which is still an iffy technology) and wholesale interference in people's lives - especially since those live may not unfold the same way now.

Scotty may never go near the Jenolen in this timeline because something might happen over the next decades to alter his life. Therefore there is no immediate need to warn him.

It's that kind of Flash Forward thing - if you tell someone too much they may change their behaviour and things can go even farther off course than they maybe are meant to.

When it comes to people, Spock would be as well remaining tight-lipped at least until he has knowledge that certain events may come to pass, otherwise it's scaremongering for no reason - 'Hey Jim! Don't launch the Ent-B - you'll die!!', 'Hey Jim, don't sleep with Carol Marcus - she'll have a kid you'll never know and he'll die!'.

The repercussions of such knowledge would not automatically lead to a happier outcome.

Larger thing like V'Ger etc (though most of them are a long way off) he can deal with as they crop up, if he needs to.

For the most part, now that things are settled he should let this timeline unfold in whatever way it does from now on, without trying to influence it too much.

That's just my 2 cents.

That Metal Beastie 02-06-2010 02:24 AM

:iagree:
And to quote Mr. Spock, "We must have faith that the universe will unfold as it should."
I think 'in universe' Spock will limit his interference to what's been done. And I think 'in real world' JJ and his writers will want stay away from the use of future knowledge because it'll too gimicky and too easy. Of course whatever they decide, will be. I pray they don't go that route.:sad:


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.