The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Will Spock Prime get frustrated with outdated technology in the new timeline? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10521)

Captain Pike 01-31-2010 09:48 PM

Will Spock Prime get frustrated with outdated technology in the new timeline?

Think about it. He is a 129 years from the future.

NCC-73515 01-31-2010 11:46 PM

Nostalgia. Classic 23rd century design: black finish, silver highlights... No wait! ;p

That Metal Beastie 02-01-2010 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Pike (Post 297741)
Think about it. He is a 129 years from the future.

Frustration would be rather un-Vulcan. I think he'll handle his situation with typical logic and grace. After all he's our Spock...at least one of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC-73515 (Post 297747)
Nostalgia. Classic 23rd century design: black finish, silver highlights... No wait! ;p

:lol:

Kaboom 02-01-2010 06:30 AM

Au contraire, he'd probably enjoy getting to use nifty "old-school" technology again. These blasted kids and their new-fangled holodecks and quantum torpedoes and hula hoops and iPods and long-range sensors and...

JamesTKirk1701 02-01-2010 07:15 AM

The "technology" in XI was outdated in the 2009 much less in the 23rd century. The phasers have two settings whereas the original phaser had at least four and a detachable type-1 phaser. The new crap doesn't even have that. I bet the type-1 phaser in the sequel will be a paramount exec's ballpoint pen.

Macon ACE 02-01-2010 07:23 AM

I bet we'll never know 'cuz Spock Prime will never be heard from again.

starwarsrcks 02-01-2010 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 (Post 297780)
The "technology" in XI was outdated in the 2009 much less in the 23rd century. The phasers have two settings whereas the original phaser had at least four and a detachable type-1 phaser. The new crap doesn't even have that. I bet the type-1 phaser in the sequel will be a paramount exec's ballpoint pen.

why do you have issues with every aspect of NuTrek what is up with you just wondering

OneBuckFilms 02-01-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starwarsrcks (Post 297783)
why do you have issues with every aspect of NuTrek what is up with you just wondering

I love the new movie, at rate it very highly, but he's actually right on this.

The Alternate Reality, though, allows the Type II phasers to have developed differently.

I'd imagine there may be other controls we simply haven't seen yet. Perhaps twisting the nozel in either Stun or Kill mode may adjust focus for various effects/strengths.

OneBuckFilms 02-01-2010 08:14 AM

I don't think spock would be frustrated, but he may provide key clues as to how to update some technology to be more effective.

Commodore 02-01-2010 08:29 AM

Another thing to consider is that Spock has been out of Starfleet for at least 75 years (if not longer), and as an ambassador is probably used to dealing with different levels of technology (Federation and non-Federation). He simply adapts to what he has, IMO.

I also think that the tech in nuTrek isn't that terribly different from the original universe and timeframe he left. It may be less powerful, but otherwise a lot of the basic stuff is still there and he can modify it to suit his needs if necessary.