The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   They Can't Re do Khan! (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10518)

janeway72 01-31-2010 06:35 AM

They Can't Re do Khan!

Apart from the fact it is a rubbish idea and I really don't want to see a rehash of a perfectly good movie (not that that has ever stopped Hollywood). TWOK is set much later than the 5 year mission so either they would have to make Space Seed into a movie or they would have to age the crew considerably.

Besides, the fact that they all got together on the Enterprise together in a different way than in TOS canon, this means that the Five Year Mission is an entirely different mission - if it happens at all. So they might never meet Khan.

jerhanner 01-31-2010 06:37 AM

Bright side: whoever plays Kahn will undoubtedly be Beefcake, and will take off his shirt whenever possible.

janeway72 01-31-2010 06:42 AM

Very true. Every cloud and all that...

horatio 01-31-2010 06:45 AM

I am a wee bit sick of Khan remakes after NEM and ST09. How about no genocidal madman this time, how about an antagonist instead of a villain? How about a Dukat or a Chang or a Soran or a Tomalak instead of a Khan, Shinzon or Nero?

celticarchie 01-31-2010 07:00 AM

Sure they can. They can do whatever they want.

(Note: I'm not advocating a rehash of Khan in any form. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't matter how much we don't want it, doesn't mean they can't do it...trust me on this one!:sad:)

kevin 01-31-2010 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerhanner (Post 297484)
Bright side: whoever plays Kahn will undoubtedly be Beefcake, and will take off his shirt whenever possible.

Yep, look on the bright side! :D

Now, forgive me in case I missed a memo - has there been confirmation he will appear in the sequel?

If there hasn't and this is just a general fear then while I get it I have to agree with Celticarchie.....

...they can use him if they want to.

However it may be worth them understanding that Khan is not the Vader of the Star Trek Universe and that he's nothing to Kirk without the events of Space Seed unfolding. That's if they do him under the approach with which as he was done in the Prime timeline.

However, they could reconcieve the character and use the name as the basis for a new adventure.

Personally, using him wouldn't be what I would call the wisest move but it's alos not up to me.

kevin 01-31-2010 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horatio (Post 297488)
I am a wee bit sick of Khan remakes after NEM and ST09. How about no genocidal madman this time, how about an antagonist instead of a villain? How about a Dukat or a Chang or a Soran or a Tomalak instead of a Khan, Shinzon or Nero?

You won't get a Dukat - he was built up over years of work, not a two hour movie.

TheTrekkie 01-31-2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin (Post 297492)
You won't get a Dukat - he was built up over years of work, not a two hour movie.

You can create good villains in two hours, too.
You just have to try, you at least have to try.

kevin 01-31-2010 07:53 AM

True, but since the first film had more important characters to introduce (7 of them, not counting Pike) then there wasn't much time left for Nero anyway. A lot of first film villains suffer from being poor or having less screen time available (X-Men, Batman Begins, Iron Man etc) because the larger purpose is to introduce the core characters instead.

Here, Nero wasn't the best villain, he wasn't the worst is as much as can be said for him.

Should the next film go down the villain route then there should be more screen-time to devote to crafting them a little better.

In theory.

janeway72 01-31-2010 08:50 AM

No one from Paramount has said that Khan is going to be in the next movie but there was speculation in the press about people being approached to play Khan.