The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is Odo Immortal? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10253)

chator 12-11-2009 03:46 PM

Is Odo Immortal?

Not really sure about Changeling procreational practices, but we do know they age somewhat, that is, they mature, maybe not physically, but intellectually and emotionally, and have long lifespans, but I was wondering if they are immortal. Theorhetically, I don't see any reason why they couldn't be if all they need to do is regenerate. Anyone know?

MrQ1701 12-11-2009 03:57 PM

I imagine they live a very long time but are not immortal. I imagine with enough time, even their "cells" start to lose their ability to repair or regenerate. I have nothing to back this up, but it was the feeling I got from watching DS9

horatio 12-11-2009 04:03 PM

Didn't the female changeling say that they have been "solids" a long time ago? So I guess that they are organic lifeforms and thus mortal.
Only once you become non-coporeal, the godly and eternal hell of boredom opens up.

kevin 12-12-2009 01:38 AM

Good question - it may just be a very, very long life they have within The Great Link but perhaps ultimately they will eventually have their version of 'death'.

Roysten 12-12-2009 04:00 AM

The female shapeshifter said that when you rejoin the great link the 'drop becomes the ocean', maybe physical cells and parts of the body die but the 'essence' of a shape shifter may always remain in the link. Dead parts of shapeshifters may get removed from the link and maybe sink or float away, then new tissue may grow, perhaps leading to a whole new shapeshifter, as Odo was one of several young ones it shows that they must procreate.

horatio 12-12-2009 09:16 AM

Where do bad folks go when they die
They go to a lake of goo and ... melt :D

kevin 12-12-2009 10:08 AM

Yeah, Star Trek writers don't give many options for future evolution of corporeal bodies.

You either become Non-corporeal, Goo or a Salamander.

Glad I'm not living that far in the future.

horatio 12-13-2009 07:26 AM

Seems as if it got worse from series to series.

Roysten 12-14-2009 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin (Post 288412)
Yeah, Star Trek writers don't give many options for future evolution of corporeal bodies.

You either become Non-corporeal, Goo or a Salamander.

Glad I'm not living that far in the future.

On a happier note Q seems to suggest that humanities future is to become more like them (suppose that could count as non-corporeal, goo or as a salamander).

kevin 12-14-2009 09:02 AM

True, would rather be a Q than a Salamader.

Omnipotent, Ageless and you never have to worry about being polite to people coz you can make them vanish if they get too narky at you.